Stay with points or convert to electronic ignition?

Hi Russell, I have posted before on changeover to electronic ignition. Fitted Pertronix system for 4 years and never looked back, never needs adjusting, better starting, smoother running and so much less hassle. However, the distributor needs to be "up to scratch" before installation, so cannot recommend the Distributor Doctor enough, before considering the conversion.

Colin.

On 12/30/2019 at 1:03 PM, russellbaldwin said:

I have a 75 TR6, UK car running standard fuel injection.

And if the answer is electronic - which is the best setup?

A perfect normal ignition can do all the things required from the swap to breatherless ignition.

Unfortunately the original ignition very often is not in good shape and PI needs high quality what

in reality ends up with performance loss.

I found a real power loss with a normal coil and worst was that I did nor recognize misfire.

Performance increased with a Bosch red coil. I did not expect that but that was tested on the rolling road.

So I went to CDI as there is MSD6 or similar to be on the safe side.

Many discussions  had been made here for full mapable electronic ignition.

Although there are some negative comments I am happy with that, giving the engine up to 45 degree

max advance at high revs/low loads. Result is crispy response on throttle, about 0.5litre less fuel consumption on 100km.

Part throttle advance is something all modern engines have and TR6 PI not.

Only with swap from points to breakerless this will nor be cured.

123tune is the easiest way to cure all things but than the missing dizzy drive must be solved.

I use the 36-1 wheel at the front pulley and do the timing with MegaSquirt.

15 hours ago, c.hydes said:

Hi Russell, I have posted before on changeover to electronic ignition. Fitted Pertronix system for 4 years and never looked back, never needs adjusting, better starting, smoother running and so much less hassle. However, the distributor needs to be "up to scratch" before installation, so cannot recommend the Distributor Doctor enough, before considering the conversion.

Colin.

This is something I've been pondering. The Doc has refurbed my dizzy but has put points back in, is there any point in changing back to electronic ignition again now?

Daz

2 hours ago, DRD said:

This is something I've been pondering. The Doc has refurbed my dizzy but has put points back in, is there any point in changing back to electronic ignition again now?

Daz

Why would you want to? You now have a refurbed dizzy.

Stuart.

I have used Pertronix for 8 years with no failure to date.

I do carry a set of points in the spare wheel but when touring I carry a spare complete dizzy and leads all ready to go, never needed so far.

I got much better starting by fitting Iridium points which seem to suit Pertronix and a good 3 ohm coil.

I would think with 60,000 volts and a 50 thou gap the car should run better generally?