Gear selector mechanism

Hi Guys,

Can  anyone point me in the direction of a clear strip down/rebuild procedure for  the gear selector mechanism as fitted to my 4a, although I guess its basically the same for a 250/6. My mechanism has been sat idle for probably 30 plus years and does not seem to want to move although there is movement in the sector shafts.

The workshop manual seems to be inadequate in this area and I am reluctant to just pull it apart, especially as there as balls and spring involved, without having a reference guide.

I've checked Youtube but cant find any video's.

Thanks

Rich

Rich

The selector rods have a tendency to get stuck if left unmoved for a long period, before attempting to dismantle leave it to soak in diesel oil or penetrating fluid for a week or two. Also if you don't already have one invest in a 8 point socket, I believe its 3/8" to undo the pins that hold the selector forks to the shafts

George

Hi Guys,

As usual plenty of good advice. However, I think I will try the soaking in Diesel/penetrating oil for a week or so as suggested by George, to see if it frees up. There seems too many possible problems that could occur to take it apart if not needed.

On the subject of gearbox's, I need to replace the Layshaft and  bearings and thrust washers, along with the 3rd gear which has taken a hit owing to the failure of the needle bearing at the reverse gear end. Apparently quite common.

Any advice as to the best source and bearing choice, loose needles or caged? I seem to remember that there was a problem with Layshafts supplied by Moss. Too soft?

Cheers

Rich

Rich

I have just rebuilt the gearbox in my TR6, I got all the parts from Overdrive Repair Services in Sheffield. 

They recommended the caged layshaft bearings which I found usefull as it does away with the need for a dummy lay shaft for re assembly.

George

They can also do a modification to install a 2nd bearing on the lay shaft gear, wish I knew when my box was done!

Waldi

1 hour ago, rvwp said:

Any advice as to the best source and bearing choice, loose needles or caged? I seem to remember that there was a problem with Layshafts supplied by Moss. Too soft?

Cheers

Rich

I believe all the Moss layshafts that were not sold have been gathered up. 

If/when you buy a new shaft stroke it with a 6" smooth file to see if it cuts. It should not, if it is hard enough.

Roger