TR6 I.C.E, well kind of

Hi All

Just a bit of a curious really.

When I got my beastie it came with what I think was to normal radio for the time a Radiomobile 1070X.

But it also came with the pictured speaker box situated behind the seats on the bulge in the rear floor, it contains a single 6 inch (approx.) speaker.

Now it looks pretty period and as my car has no evidence of any other speakers I was wondering if this was standard fitment, an option or dealer fitted as I cannot see anything about radios in my, admittedly slightly earlier, brochure.

Cheers Keith461119690_TRSpeakerPod.thumb.jpg.89e6b3751557e879210f8eec583183cf.jpg

Hi Keith,

The speaker box was part of the Radiomobile fitting kit for the TR6 and as you quite rightly say fitted onto the bulge on the rear floor.  In period these kits were available from your local Triumph Dealer and a Stanpart Accessories brochure that I have lists the kits for £4 12s 1d, an aerial for £3 and the 70X radio itself for £18 0s 8d. Many years ago I came across a complete boxed fitting kit for the TR6 and the attached pdf is from that kit. Whether I will ever get around to fitting who knows..…………………….

cheers

Derek 

Radiomobile installation instructions.pdf

2 hours ago, saffrontr said:

Hi Keith,

The speaker box was part of the Radiomobile fitting kit for the TR6 and as you quite rightly say fitted onto the bulge on the rear floor.  In period these kits were available from your local Triumph Dealer and a Stanpart Accessories brochure that I have lists the kits for £4 12s 1d, an aerial for £3 and the 70X radio itself for £18 0s 8d. Many years ago I came across a complete boxed fitting kit for the TR6 and the attached pdf is from that kit. Whether I will ever get around to fitting who knows..…………………….

cheers

Derek 

Radiomobile installation instructions.pdf 1.33 MB · 19 downloads

Thanks Derek, that is exactly how my Radiomobile was fitted in 1973!

Bruce.

Hi Guy's

I’d assumed as much but wanted to check.

Thoughts are to try to update the Radio with modern USB and Bluetooth capability with the original look and maybe keeping this period speaker.

I’ll see how it sounds.

Great to have the original installation instruction for interest, so thanks Derek.

Cheers  Keith

19 hours ago, Keith66 said:

Hi Guy's

I’d assumed as much but wanted to check.

Thoughts are to try to update the Radio with modern USB and Bluetooth capability with the original look and maybe keeping this period speaker.

I’ll see how it sounds.

Great to have the original installation instruction for interest, so thanks Derek.

Cheers  Keith

If you can, save the speaker & frame and use it as a template for something new but authentic looking. Maybe 3D print a case for new speakers or such like.  Plus-if you can fit a small amp it will make a world of difference when the top is down.

There are good head units about that look period but w BT and cable connections for the iPhone etc to do the music/radio etc