Wiper motor bracket colour

Here is one I did for a well known forumite.

It's pretty hard to get the rubbers in.  Too hard to hold the plate with one hand.  I put it in the wood jaws of a Workmate.

I squashed the rubber into a flattened figure-of-8 shape by clamping in the tip of the jaws of a Mole-wrench. DONT use any lubricant, you won't hold on to it.

Now you can engage it in the plate and push hard and gradually work the Mole-wrench to expose more rubber and the keep pushing.  This isnot easy and requires strength and control in you hands.

I used VHT wrinkle paint because after ovening this withstands rough handling.

Not too hard to find good NOS rubbers for this job.

ale-13.jpg

Edited by AlanT

Alan, this is as I removed it. Is the appearance from rust attack which the PO roughly cleaned and painted, or is that "look" original? My plan is to get it back to smooth metal, primer and paint. Should these rubber grommets be re-used  (I do have a new hardware kit ordered from TRF).

Cheers,

Alf

IMG_4057.JPG.1ec5a2327e0f6ab14ead28cfdf7899e7.JPG

The hole in the rubbers is much to big.  Look at mine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-743176-DR2-DR3-Wiper-Motor-Rubber-Mounts-for-Mini-MG-Morris-17H5431/202782535241?epid=2038775097&hash=item2f36c7ee49:g:40IAAOxyf2pR55qg

Photos show the same one as above.  One hour in 45% Phosphoric acid. Fairly safe stuff, just usual eye protection, won't burn your fingers off.

plate-TR4-1.jpg

plate-TR4-3.jpg

Alan, good observation on the grommet hole size, but my mounting must be different then. There is a metal insert which fits is inside the grommets and the mounting rubber washers - it all appears stock from the way it all bolts up to the wiper motor.  Hence the size hole in the grommet. Any thoughts?

IMG_4061.JPG.6851ad47b43418ec7edd9030e2cbad0f.JPGIMG_4065.JPG.5e60677d7fb0bae48194b5f557c274d1.JPG

IMG_4066.JPG.bc3854699408f22cb6e67737f7421763.JPGIMG_4067.JPG.91e718d808d128eb5afa2130f26d805e.JPG

Cheers,

Alf

Ouch! So someone before me has walked a different path - does  the metal sleeve (item 67) have the integral shoulder washer? I could not tell from the diagram.. Fortunately I have ordered a new wiper motor mounting kit from TRF, so should be able to restore it to stock.

Many thanks Stuart and Alan,

Cheers,

Alf