Signal Red paint match

Who is the best around to get a paint match? Need to get a bonnet painted or blended in with a signal red matching paint. As we know red paint fades after a time. I would have thought a good match would not be impossible giving a company mixing paint all day, can it.? I had the same problem years ago with my yellow Dolly sprint and forced the company to have a  Sikkens Spectrum analyser to identify the mix and after that is was fine.

Regards Harry

Hi Harry,

I have just had my TR6 painted in signal red. The shop prepared 3 samples (like 6 by 6 inch) that we could choose from. Matching is not to easy, since the brightness is affected by the amount, type and angle of light source. But if a sample is prepared that you can hold on the original paint ( after a good polish), it should be no issue.

Waldi

Well two paint factors could not get it right. Got a couple of more to try. I fail to understand in this day of modern tools that a simple match is so hard to get right.

Don't think Sikkins is around now.Most mixing skills seem to be gone.(computer says NO)

Search continues.

I know my Jasmine TR5 will not match up with any mixes today as the tints are no longer available.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

5 hours ago, harrytr5 said:

Well two paint factors could not get it right. Got a couple of more to try. I fail to understand in this day of modern tools that a simple match is so hard to get right.

Don't think Sikkins is around now.Most mixing skills seem to be gone.(computer says NO)

Search continues.

I know my Jasmine TR5 will not match up with any mixes today as the tints are no longer available.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

You are always going to struggle to match a red as there are lots of factors that have affected the colour over the years, Red and Yellow are the two hardest to match and even though you may get a good match in one area you may not in another due to angles of sun and differing amounts of weathering on vertical surfaces to horizontal ones. In addition paint companies are often changing tinters and so what was a good formulation once may not work now plus some of the original ingredients in those tinters are gradually being removed for health and safety reasons, Also any freshly painted areas will always be "brighter" than the surrounding.

Back years ago when i used to do a lot of paintwork it was often more cost effective to do a complete repaint than try to blow areas in to match.

Stuart.