Soft top stress on rear deck

Looking for some guidance on soft top seeming too short. Bought a TR6 a couple of months ago all starry eyed as usual & not giving it much thought.

So when I gets it home I inevitably start to see the faults here and there. Some weeks later I tried to put the soft top up. This seems a good inch or so short. Sort of expecting this to be how tightness is kept in the fabric I tried a little more but this seems to flex the rear deck and the joint between the rear wings is (& previously obviously was) cracked as a result. More I tried the more this flex and crack concerned me.

Assume someone out there has had the same issues sometime?

cheers

Hi Paul and welcome.

if it’s a vinyl hood then try warming it up , quite a lot!, and you’ll be surprised how stretchable this makes it.

if it does stretch sufficiently to close then leave it closed for a period to ‘set’

as for the rear deck flexing, do you really mean the body panel or the black teim panel that the hood is secured to?

i’m in the process of refurbing my hood frame and fitting new vinyl hood next week probably

steve

Hi Paul, worth checking if it is the vinyl top which is causing the problem or the webbing straps which space the hoodframe hoops out. The webbing often shrinks when old if it has been wet.

it can be extended or replaced.

Chris

Paul,
welcome to this forum and the world of TR’s. 
As Steve has outlined above, too low temperature may be your issue (assuming the hood once fitted). Certainly not a job for outside in Ontario area! A well heated garage my resolve this. I once had to put an electric heater fan inside the car, be careful if you do this), and then it was easy.

Enjoy the TR!

Waldi

17 hours ago, Steves_TR6 said:

A thermostatic fan heater in the car is exactly my plan for fitting the new hood to my 6

That's how I did mine during the Christmas break last year. It was freezing outside but toasty warm in the garage. Had two wall heaters heating the room and a fan heater in the car. I was happy with the result.

20181224_160721 (2).jpg

Looks good Sean!

when glueing the front of the hood to the rail how tight did you pull it?

i’ve watched a couple  of youtube videos which suggest fixing it tightly and with a clearance to the header, then stretching it further by fixing the two latches

did you do this ?

steve

On 12/26/2019 at 10:39 AM, TorontoTim said:

Hi Paul,

I have moved this thread to the TR6 section for you - I think you'll have more chance of views and, therefore, replies here.

Best,

Tim

Cheers Tim. Appreciated.

Many thanks to all replies & thanks to Tim for shifting my post to the correct location.

Plan is to put it up in the warm spring sun on the driveway. I’ll check out the webbing straps as ChrisR mentioned. Yes, the rear flat panel that then joins the panel with the filler cap was visibly flexing, and the seam between the rear wing was obviously flexing as a result. That was my main concern or worry. I’ll get some serious heat into it before putting it up “proper” but the stress on that rear deck did concern me, & certainly would leave me with sleepless nights if I kept it up.

Came close to a 4....I prefer the look but I just love the straight 6.....& 5’s/250’s are just too far out of reach. 

1 hour ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Looks good Sean!

when glueing the front of the hood to the rail how tight did you pull it?

i’ve watched a couple  of youtube videos which suggest fixing it tightly and with a clearance to the header, then stretching it further by fixing the two latches

did you do this ?

steve

Thanks Steve,

I used Elin Yakov's approach from this video https://youtu.be/Hz0hx3ShaQs?list=PLLWNLIF9Lk97xZsbU0dUidAa48bxRUw-t

This is the second of two videos and I followed both, with one exception - when it came to stretching the vinyl over the front rail, I propped the rail open about an inch with a couple of short lengths of 2x1 and stretched the vinyl as tight as I could get it. This worked well and when the 2x1 was removed the stretch on closing with the latches was perfect. As you see in the vid, the glue is fairly forgiving and if the first stretch is not perfect you can unstick it and go again.

BTW, I also did the webbing fold at the front rail correctly, not the way he does it in the first video;).

Hope this helps

Sean

Thanks Sean

i’ve seen those videos and was thinking a 1 inch gap would be right !

shall report back when i attempt fitting ....

steve

Paul,

i have sent you a PM , see the mailbox at the top right of your screen

Graham

I bought a new one for the 4A. Hard top fitted no problems, soft top was an inch or two short.

Tried stretching the soft top by clamping it and suspending weights on the other end, for warmth/heat AUS summer or a fan blower.

Also undid the windscreen rake bolts and applied maximum rearwards rake. It went back an inch or so. (Hard top still fitted OK after this.)

This allowed me to get the soft top on, with a few breaks to rest the arm muscles.

One of the variables was the tight fit of the front bit under the metal plate at the top of the windscreen, at first it didn't really go under fully.

After several fittings the front bit must have 'squished' down a bit and went fully into position, and fitting became fairly straightforward and fast.

Made a start this morning refitting the frame and new webbings

progress stalled as i don’t have the right length/width rivets in stock, hoping they arrive in the post today.

steve

C60D2C1C-EAB3-4A05-8DB6-7B64BDF25D12.jpeg

E8FE3585-084E-4AD4-B3A7-CADAB00AE011.jpeg