53 minutes ago, harrytr5 said:

Not that my TR5 needs it as it runs on Valvoline  VR1 20/50 racing oil. Does this work or is it snake oil? At £50 for 4 litre it is expensive.

Regards Harry

I should try a search Harry, we've done the oil subject to death over the last 3-4 years.

Different opinions naturally as there should be, I think the Valvoline is a decent oil although I think it leans heavily on the "Racing"  moniker to help it's sales whilst 99% of the buyers don't go near a race track but think it adds something to their cars. I favour an oil which is marketed very openly telling you what is in it, and still retains the confirmed Zinc amounts in ZDDP which has protected the engines in use since the 1950s, proved by experience and use. It was unusual to have camshaft and cam follower failures 30 and 40 years ago.These days the modern engines with cats can't handle the Zinc amounts contained in them so to enable oil company offerings to be retailed to them many oils have been "optimised" ( I always suspect any oil with that description in it's specification) making them more suitable for younger engines which is a much larger market than our old clunkers. This is what I use

Classic_Oils__Heritage_20w50_LW11.jpg.480c63e8f537c622c439dbb6dfc3f177.jpg

You might like the price a little better as well

http://eshop.richard-shrive-cars.com/Heritage-20W/50-Classic-Oils?gclid=CjwKCAiAi4fwBRBxEiwAEO8_HsJBTevmQZS59Xje7y-mrEs-qiUBr2W9j8jjBhowI_rpGNVtMghrtRoCi7cQAvD_BwE

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Harry, I use that stuff - God knows if it's any different or better than the other offerings, the only thing I would say is that you are paying way over the odds at £50 for four ltrs, the last I bought about twelve months ago was less than half that price.

Im a fan of Valvoline Vr1 20w50 also

it combines both acceptable ZDDP numbers and high film strength

opie oils often have it for around £30 which i think is good value 

steve

just checked and it’s £28 today, free delivery if you spend £60.

Edited by Steves_TR6

I’m with Steve. 

I use it in my 3a that I abuse in sprints and hillclimbs. 

Buy cheap when on offer with opie.

just make sure you don’t skimp and get good filters and change them regularly. I do 2 filter changes to one oil chance. 

Im also going to get a magnetic sump plug too. 

Magnetic plug in sump, gearbox and back axle - a sensible (and cheap) precaution.

Overdrive will already have its own magnetic collector inside the large drain plug.

Ian Cornish

Opie Oils, that’s where I get my Millers pistonease 20/50. 
Check out their EBay shop, (not always that easy to find) usually cheaper that direct and free delivery! 

Chris

I've always gone for a reasonable brand generally what ever Opie had on offer rather than super expensive fully synthetic which for other than full on race applications which after a race or track day should be dumped anyway so for day to day it a waste. These old lumps will do just fine on a good mineral or semi.

I think its more important changing it and the filter every 2500-3000 miles. Even my daily with a supposed interval of 19000 gets change at 10000 max.

Andy 

Edited by PodOne
word added

VR1 is a good mineral oil. 

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-73741-valvoline-vr1-racing-20w-50-highly-refined-mineral-engine-oil.aspx

Dont get get caught up with the racing labelling. It’s just a good oil imho. 

But as long as a half decent oil is used and changed frequently it’ll keep our engines going  

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/18/2018 at 5:24 PM, Kutscher said:

Hi Kretean,

You can go different ways to power up your engine.

I dit a lot off experiments to power up my TR2.

The best option a tried is the Judson Supercharger.

The TR engine with a Judson produce about 40 % more HP with 4-5 Psi pressure, but this is only archived when the Judson is at low temperature.

How longer you drive, the Judson heats up. This is because the Judson is placed above the exhaust and the contact from the vanes to the body.

Also is the Holley carb to small for the higher RPM range.

Beside this, the drivability off the Judson is fantastic. Very stable idle speed, a lot of engine torque at low RPM.

Starting the engine takes a little while, because the petrol mixture from the carb to the inlet manifold is a little bit longer.

I now almost finished building my TR2 with a Shorrock Supercharger with a 2" SU carb. This is the best way to go because.....

The Shorrock is placed on the other side of the engine, so it can't heat up by the exhaust. And its vanes make no contact with the body off the Supercharger.

In addition this Shorrock Supercharger can gives much more PSI than the Judson.

There are some pictures from the Judson and Shorrock on my website. https://www.triumph-tr2.com.

Robin

On 12/24/2019 at 2:12 PM, stuart said:

Its a Revington promoted product, never tried it so couldnt say if its worth the money or not.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart , I will putting a sample of the oil through our labs to check it out. My gut feeling is that is has additional cetane improver which is commonly used in diesel oils to lower smoke   it will be a couple weeks before we can test the oil  but i will ask Neil if i can share the results with the forum

steve