Finally painted

After 4 years of restoration The car is resprayed (not by me). 
I’m really happy with the end result.

All gaps are even, and I did not have to do any removing/adding for that. Getting the gaps right took me a some time though.

I now have fitted my Panasport Z Lites (well, light....). I could not find the torque for these wheels. Also, I have 8-9 windings engAgement, is this sufficient? The std steel wheels had more thread engagement.

Thanks,

Waldi

FDB33749-ADF4-4F23-9747-148F0A058B7F.thumb.jpeg.1baadf2f80d6f44ca145a8f659e9f7eb.jpeg

4375A752-3621-42B7-B67E-30440E7E1CC2.jpeg

Edited by Waldi
TRied to rotate pics without succes;)

The car looks great Waldi, what offset are the wheels?

Car looks good Waldi, good engineering practice is to have 1 1/2 times the thread dia inside the nut. So 10mm thread would need 15 mm nut length engaged.

Mick Richards

1 hour ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Car looks good Waldi, good engineering practice is to have 1 1/2 times the thread dia inside the nut. So 10mm thread would need 15 mm nut length engaged.

Mick Richards

Based on TR original wheel stud size. - 7/16 diameter studs that have 20tpi unf thread, the nuts would need to engage by at least 13 turns if the 1 1/2 times thread diameter is followed.

7/16" = 0.4375"  x 1.5  = 0.656"

0.656" divided by  (1/20" thread lead per turn as 20 tpi) = 0.05"  therefore = 13.12 turns.

You will need longer studs Waldi if you wish to follow the engineering practice.  Cambridge Motor Sports offer them  http://www.cambridgemotorsport.com/partsxx/cm4300

Cheers

Peter W

Thank you all for the compliments, this was a 4 year journey, which helped me trough a very difficult period in my life. I often wondered if I would be able to complete the work, from now on it’s plain sailing:)

Regarding the nut torque and thread engagement: The Panasport website provides no information on that, so I have send them an e-mail. Will feed back when I get a reply. 

Thread engagement: 1.5 times diameter sounds like safe and my original steel wheels had about that. Currently 1 times diameter.

Normal metric nuts however are Around 0.8 times nominal diameter. Are wheel bolts of a lower quality (hence requiring more threads)?

Torque figures on the www for good quality 7/16-UNF bolts, un-lubricated are relatively low, like 60 ft.lbs dry.

Regards,

Waldi

5 hours ago, iani said:

The car looks great Waldi, what offset are the wheels?

Hi Ian,

The wheels are 15 x 6”.

A sticker reads: OF/HB  +6.    72.50

Hopefully more educated people will be able to tell what this means.

Waldi

44 minutes ago, Waldi said:

Hi Ian,

The wheels are 15 x 6”.

A sticker reads: OF/HB  +6.    72.50

Hopefully more educated people will be able to tell what this means.

Waldi

That’s +6mm Waldi, perfect. I’m considering changing my wheels, I can’t be bothered with the wires, too much hassle with cleaning!

Congrats Waldi, your TR6 looks very nice in that color.

As Neil mentioned, I also have 15x6 Panasports. They use special lug nuts that are made for those wheels and I dont recall any issues or concerns with the thread engagement. My car is spending the winter in my attached garage so it is easily accessible if you need me to measure anything for comparison.

Waldi-TR6.jpeg

Edited by foster461

Very nice indeed. Well done.

Hi Ian, 
you’re welcome. They fit well, I had no interference issues during installation but I have not driven them yet. I’m not sure if I will keep these, because I like the original steel wheels (without alu rings) very much too. 

Stan,
I have a set of nuts that came with the wheels too, they are not stamped but look neat (but that tells little about steel quality). If you could count the number of threads engaged on your Panasport wheels that would be great! And what torque are you using?

The color of my car is signal red (32) as original. Is is painted with acrylic 2K paint, no clear coat. The sills, rear valence and grille area are in satin black (not matt), so can be cleaned easily. I used Andrews pics from his original TR as reference for this, thank you Andrew. 

Isn’t this a great place?

Cheers,

Waldi

8 minutes ago, Bfg said:

:wub: Panel gaps are super Waldi - good job, well done.

.. I'm suffering even more garage envy though ..not only clean ceilings huh !  B)

Pete

Thanks Pete, I painted the ceiling white to have better light. Simple job (when the garage is empty;) and good result.

Cheers,

Waldi

Good taste on the wheels Waldi and the rest looks good.

10 hours ago, Waldi said:

Hi Ian, 
you’re welcome. They fit well, I had no interference issues during installation but I have not driven them yet. I’m not sure if I will keep these, because I like the original steel wheels (without alu rings) very much too. 

Stan,
I have a set of nuts that came with the wheels too, they are not stamped but look neat (but that tells little about steel quality). If you could count the number of threads engaged on your Panasport wheels that would be great! And what torque are you using?

The color of my car is signal red (32) as original. Is is painted with acrylic 2K paint, no clear coat. The sills, rear valence and grille area are in satin black (not matt), so can be cleaned easily. I used Andrews pics from his original TR as reference for this, thank you Andrew. 

Isn’t this a great place?

Cheers,

Waldi

This is what my wheels look like

20191223_122737-XL.jpg

And this is one of the lug nuts

20191223_123010-L.jpg

View with the nut removed

20191223_123116-XL.jpg

I can get between 8 and 9 full rotations of the lug nut by hand before it seats in the wheel rim recess. I torque them to 60 lbs ft.

Stan