Pre-Triumph Lucas Pi

I found this on sale on eBay, so had a punt for it and no one else was interested!

It's three pages from "Motor Trader" magazine, in 1956, and describes "the system employed on Jaguar racing cars", because so "much has been heard of petrol injection for production cars in America"

It describes the outline of Lucas Pi that we know well, but illustrates it with a highly complex Metering Unit, with two rotors and shuttles, as fitted to the Jags.    The author's conclusion is prophetic.   "The system outlined .... is costly to manufacture... however..the cost diffferential will, in time, be narrowed."

88419996_Page1.thumb.jpg.1895c7239d584ee2cbb1057a96f1abb4.jpg

I cannot load more than one page in this post, but will append the others below.     I can upload PDF copies if anyone wishes.

John

Page 3

135515641_Page3.thumb.jpg.8a403a99d0842de2f53a217e4ab46a60.jpg

You will note the seocnd article on this relic.    "Auto control for overdrive"

This has been a subject of extensive debate here in the past.    If people would like, I'll post the rets of that article too.

JOhn

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

You will note the seocnd article on this relic.    "Auto control for overdrive"

This has been a subject of extensive debate here in the past.    If people would like, I'll post the rets of that article too.

The automatic control for overdrive was fitted to early Healeys Ive had a few with it, basically when you put your foot down its like an auto boxes kickdown and it takes it out of overdrive until you ease the throttle off.

Stuart.

The early Lucas as fitted to the LeMans Jaguars was similar to the Tecalemit Jackson system also used by Jaguar.

Stuart.

To add to John's post on early injection there is a much later article in the Motor magazine of 1st October 1966 which mentions some cars equipped with injection that they had driven at Brands Hatch, these included a Rover 2000TC with Lucas Mk11 injection, a Triumph 2000 with an injection system by Associated Engineering Ltd and the Bill Bradley Group 5 Triumph 2000 saloon which had a form of Lucas MK2 injection comprising slide throttles and six very long curved inlet pipes giving 173 bhp.  The AE system looked interesting and I wonder why the Lucas system was chosen over it, could it have been simplicity?  I have attached the very poor scan that I have of the article for info.

Derek 

img045.pdf

How can I refuse?

No joy, Harald!    I don't understand the board restrictions.    I was able to load more the nxt dau, before, but not now. 

Harald, pm me your email address - I'll send it that way.

John

PS After Xmas!

• 2 weeks later...

And here is a 4 cylinder Sprite engine with mechanical pi currently for sale in USA

https://york.craigslist.org/pts/d/felton-austin-healey-sprite-sebring/7035592334.html

Peter W

2 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

And here is a 4 cylinder Sprite engine with mechanical pi currently for sale in USA

https://york.craigslist.org/pts/d/felton-austin-healey-sprite-sebring/7035592334.html

Peter W

Direct link PI Sprite engine

Stuart.

http://www.sebringsprite.com/xspengines.html

Of course the Lucas Pi principal could dbe used on other engines,    Maserati and full race Ford capris, for instance.  

Maserati: http://www.maserati-alfieri.co.uk/alfieri135.htm  which includes another variant of the metering unit!

image.thumb.png.f6dfda36bca4b17dc24f5bb9169e332f.png

And Ford Zakspeed used it, Cosworth in the DFV, and Walter Hassan chose it  for the Coventry Climax.     It was only the rapid development of electronics that made it obsolete.

John

Edited by john.r.davies