Broken stub axle?

My joy at getting a good result on the day I has now been tempered by a breakdown, does this look like it could be the stub axle? I can’t fit my jack underneath to check it out.

DCD2C2E6-C0F2-4727-8682-AC9EB2D57815.jpeg

More likely the lower inner wishbone box mount has broken away from the chassis Im afraid.

Stuart.

Marks TR5 086.jpg

Edited by stuart
8 minutes ago, stuart said:

More likely the lower inner wishbone box mount has broken away from the chassis Im afraid.

Stuart.

Marks TR5 086.jpg

They look to be intact Stuart, from what I can see from engine side anyway. I have just rebuilt this side, only the stub axle wasn’t changed.

Edited by iani

Tried winching car onto recover truck and the wheel fell off, luckily no damage. This was a good S/H hub from Revington’s along with their studs & nuts. The nuts had been done up tightly & loctite applied, all four nuts had unwound. I obviously pulled over just in time, this could have been a very  nasty experience.

3 minutes ago, Drewmotty said:

Was there any paint between the hub and adaptor? The interface needs to be bare metal to bare metal. 

The hub has been painted black at some point

Paint in such interfaces can fret away and once there is even a few of thou movement the resulting vibration will soon loosen the wheel nuts. 
The a large proportion of the  load bearing is friction between the flat faces resulting from the compression of the nuts rather than shear loading through the studs.

Edited by Drewmotty
1 hour ago, Mike C said:

How are the nuts on the driver's side?

Haven't touched them Mike, I rebuilt the N/S whilst my car was off the road during the EFI conversion, the O/S was against the garage wall and hasn't been touched. I elected to change my perfectly ok wire wheel studs for larger ones with spacers so I could possibly change the wheels in the future, I really wish I hadn't bothered as I have had a fair bit of trouble with them, I will have a good look tomorrow but I think I need to junk the spacers.

Spacers shouldn’t present a problem Ian. 
I run long studs with spacers on both my cars and haven’t had a problem. Are the spacers the full contact type with just the four holes to suit the studs? Multi fit spacers with slotted holes may not provide as secure a location. 
How’s you’re torque wrench? Is it actually reaching the required 65 lbf?

9 hours ago, Z320 said:

Falcrum pin ripped of the shock absorber dome.

Be careful about the coil spring when you lift the car.

Ciao, Marco

The safety warning from Marco is a very good point. If the spring can release its energy, like when jumping out, it can seriously hurt you.

Waldi

35 minutes ago, Z320 said:

With "be careful" I meen:

- be prepared anything is moving when you lift the car

- don't try to hold what is moving with your hands or body

...................get someone else to hold it   !!!!!!!    :o

Roger   

I believe I’ve found the cause, the pic shows the rear of one wire wheel adaptor bolt hole, the other three are similar. I expect this damage was caused during my previous incident with the adaptor coming loose. I popped over to TRGB this morning and have now fitted a new wire wheel adaptor, studs & nuts. A very lucky escape I think.

99D2A256-F152-4E26-8294-2140E678016A.jpeg

Edited by iani
5 hours ago, aardvark said:

If it is the fulcrum pin bracket then you should be able to see damage to the inner wing by lifting the bonnet. 

whatever it is, commiserations Ian.  Did you hit a pothole or just driving normally?

I was on a fair few rural roads and there were a lot of potholes, the weather was awful and there was a lot of standing water so I couldn't see the holes.

I had a slack wire wheel adaptor some years ago because one of the previous owners painted the hubs.

This made an unbearable KLOCK-KLOCK-KLOCK..., long before the adaptor was really slack - and without anything visible or even tactile on the wheel.

Edited by Z320
15 minutes ago, Z320 said:

I had a slack wire wheel adaptor some years ago because one of the previous owners painted the hubs.

This made an unbearable KLOCK-KLOCK-KLOCK..., long before the adaptor was really slack - and without anything visible or even tactile on the wheel.

I drove c.85 miles to Emerald without issue, this happened around 10 miles into the return journey, the sound was like the wheel bearing was loose so I pulled over. I had driven over a few miles of really rough road, I wouldn't have noticed the issue on those roads I suspect.