Dyno Result

178.9 BHP and a fairly flat torque curve, I’m happy with that.

371698A9-70E3-4694-BD78-4BCB615D3D83.jpeg

15 minutes ago, DRD said:

Hi Ian - looking good, what cam do you have?

Darren

Newman PH2 & Burgess fast road head

2 minutes ago, Tom Fremont said:

50HP of losses? Might want to trim the fat off that! 

Gross number is great!

Tom

I have the hardtop fitted Tom, there’s a fair bit of weight in that.

15 minutes ago, iani said:

I have the hardtop fitted Tom, there’s a fair bit of weight in that.

I was referring to the drag HP losses of 49.3 - I've seen 30HP a number of times, so maybe there's another usable 20HP awaiting? For example, 90W gear oil in the gearbox and diff could sap a lot of HP when cold. I've never dyno'd my cars but have synthetic in the diff ( like water for viscosity ) and 30W non-detergent motor oil in the gearbox. Hot, they may converge as to the losses but cold...who knows?

Tom 

5 minutes ago, Tom Fremont said:

I was referring to the drag HP losses of 49.3 - I've seen 30HP a number of times, so maybe there's another usable 20HP awaiting? For example, 90W gear oil in the gearbox and diff could sap a lot of HP when cold. I've never dyno'd my cars but have synthetic in the diff ( like water for viscosity ) and 30W non-detergent motor oil in the gearbox. Hot, they may converge as to the losses but cold...who knows?

Tom 

I’ve just changed the gearbox over to SAE40, it’s much smoother now and I’ll be sticking with that

Merry Christmas iani,

Nice print-out. Nice flat curve. Nice.

I have no idea what my cam is & was considering the Newman's PH2. Shame Emerald have decided to change the units from ye old English to SI, as its a pain to compare my print-out with yours. You do appear to have the edge over mine. Looks like I might have the PH2 as well. Time to rethink.

Whats your MPG like? I'm mid 20's if cruising, no better.

My OD gearbox would not be happy with SAE40/EP90. OD slow to engage from a cold start for about 10 minutes, 75W90 seems to have fixed that.

Would you like to share your K6 map? I would like to compare your ignition curve ^ accel settings with mine.

Cheers,

Iain.

57 minutes ago, SpitFire6 said:

Merry Christmas iani,

Nice print-out. Nice flat curve. Nice.

I have no idea what my cam is & was considering the Newman's PH2. Shame Emerald have decided to change the units from ye old English to SI, as its a pain to compare my print-out with yours. You do appear to have the edge over mine. Looks like I might have the PH2 as well. Time to rethink.

Whats your MPG like? I'm mid 20's if cruising, no better.

My OD gearbox would not be happy with SAE40/EP90. OD slow to engage from a cold start for about 10 minutes, 75W90 seems to have fixed that.

Would you like to share your K6 map? I would like to compare your ignition curve ^ accel settings with mine.

Cheers,

Iain.

Hi Iain,

Merry Christmas to you too, I have attached my map. I haven't calculated MPG yet, it certainly seems an improvement on before though. I'd had my gearbox/OD oil changed when the engine was swapped out a year or so ago, it is clear that they didn't bother cleaning the filter though. When we took the filter off it was thick with sludge, I suspect that whatever oil I refilled it with I would have seen an improvement. As you know, ask 3 people for opinions on which oil to use in the OD and you'll get 4 answers, I thought I'd give the SAE40 a try and so far, so good.

Ian

RR201219.map

Hi Ian,

I assume your TPS is measuring the throttle angle off the end of the throttle shaft?

Our microseconds per Bit MSPB are the same & I think my pump PRV is also 3 Bar. PRV is integral to pump.

I utilize the fuel cut off. Noticed a drop in MPG when I disabled it

I have taken the original map from Emerald and rescaled the X&Y to use the same RPM & TPS/Angle settings.I assume that using the inbuilt SW rescalers prevents any errors.

I'm running a Ford 6 pack coil. BPR6ES plugs.

I use ignition timing for idle control. I have NO idle control valve.

I will be copying some of your settings.

Cheers,

Iain.

TR6_K3_Original.map

Edited by SpitFireSIX
ICV

My TPS is integral to the centre throttle body, it's the one that the throttle cable connects to and I am using NGK BPR6EIX plugs with a VX coil pack. Please let me know how the map works out for you.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I have tried the BPR6EIX. No noticeable difference on my car.Was sold on the pointy precious metal thing, before realising: #1 I run wasted spark. #2 They are expensive as most quality plugs utilizing precious metals are #3 Didn't like the idea of periodically swapping pairs on the coil: One of my MAGNECOR leads broke & warranty was useless.

Cheers,

Iain.

13 minutes ago, SpitFire6 said:

Hi Ian,

I have tried the BPR6EIX. No noticeable difference on my car.Was sold on the pointy precious metal thing, before realising: #1 I run wasted spark. #2 They are expensive as most quality plugs utilizing precious metals are #3 Didn't like the idea of periodically swapping pairs on the coil: One of my MAGNECOR leads broke & warranty was useless.

Cheers,

Iain.

Can you amplify on your # points Iain, I assume 1  is the fact that half the firing is wasted, 2 fair enough but why 3?

Edited by iani

Hi Ian.

With wasted spark ignition. I.E No distributor, no cam sensor & a coil pack; All the plugs fire twice a cycle.

Half the plugs will fire reverse voltage on compression stroke; all advantages of pointy metal is lost as cathode is now anode. The electrons are not so easily released from a cold cathode.

Or something like that.

Cheers,

Iain.

Cheers,

Iain

9 hours ago, SpitFire6 said:

Ahh #3. The leads were expensive & I did not want to touch them just to swap over the firing direction on three plugs to maximise life. Paying around 30 quid for a super-dooper lead is too much in a lifetime.

Cheers,

Iain.

Yes, they are steep, especially when you buy a set from Racestorations!