TR6 Door Pulls CP to CR Series

Good morning and Seasons Greetings,

I have a question regarding whether it's possible to fit the later CR type door pulls (screwed to door frame) to a CP door. My car CR358 was built in December 1972 so has a number of features from the earlier cars although it's a CR series. One such feature are the doors which differ in terms of the internal structure. The later cars have a flat section of steel where the door pull is screwed into. The earlier cars (like mine) have an open recess here which upon first inspection suggests you cannot fit the later door pulls. Furthermore the door release rod appears to be a different design between the two series allowing for the void. Obviously the earlier cars had the door pull integrated into the top door finisher which had a habit of letting go on a regular basis! I have fitted wooden door mappings to my car which are smooth with no 'pull' feature. Another option would of course be to fit the TR4 style door pull but I'm trying to stay 'TR6' if possible.

So the question is has anyone come across this before and if so what was the outcome? The other challenge of course its that the later CR door pull assembly is NLA although second hand examples are available. I've attached a picture of one of the doors from my car which hopefully illustrates what I'm trying to explain.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully share some ideas.

Best regards, Peter

IMG_3588.JPG

Hi Chris,

It is entirely up to you of course, but if you attach the CP door pulls with something like Tiger Seal, and use several cable ties to hold in position whilst it sets, you will never have another door pull drop off. Mine were attached like this in 2012, and after 40-50k miles, they have not moved.

Granted, typically these are never attached particularly well, but if you apply the above, you will not have an issue, and it will look original, etc.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Peter

I'm in the same position with a 72 and was thinking what to do some time ago, so popped a post on and didn't do anything about it. But your post has peeked my interest again and i'm going to give it a go.

So i've just taken the plunge a bought some CR pulls off the bay, well Spitfire ones which i'm hoping are the same (most seem to be labelled TR6 and Spitfire) and they were cheap so nothing lost.

Changing the internal door skin should be simple enough its just the case of tacking in a small panel in with an appropriate sized hole.  The alternative shaped rease bar might be a bit more difficult but easily do able if I take care and measure twice before i cut it.:D

Door cards will be much more difficult but mine are quiet scruffy so if i do get that badley wrong its not the end of the world.

So ta for getting me moving.

Cheers  Keith

My car is a 73´CR and it should have the late pulls. But the door cards are that of the earlier ones. So I have to change the cards what I do not like or use the CP-ones. But I do not like to glue the plastic stuff on my doors either. The TR4 pulls are too old fashioned in my eyes. So I decided to let it be as ist is and forego the pulls and close the doors wether with the door-opener-lever or  - with windows down - just the door itself.