Vitesse 5 speed conversion for Tr4a

Folks, I just found this Tr4a 5 speed conversion kit -

https://www.vitesse-ltd.com/products/vittr252?variant=29075685539923

Does anyone have any experience with it?

I have been contemplating installing a stock Type A overdrive, or one of those Toyota 5 speed based conversions, in my car for quite a while (life always seems to get in the way). So this one has piqued my interest again.

Jim

For that kind of money Jim, I'd definately go down the

TR Box and overdrive route,

Keeps it TR,

Gives you seven gears,

likely no more money.

Been done lots of times, proven conversion, and all the help and experience here.

John.

I wonder what the weight difference is?

Anyway, just out of curiosity what is it about this conversion that is specific to the IRS cars & not the live axle models? - I must be missing something obvious.

John #1 - yeah I’m torn about originality vs dependability, but yes a stock overdrive unit would be cheaper after adding shipping. BTW - Moss US sells the same kit but at twice the price!! Moss US prices are always way too high, so even with shipping, getting some parts from UK can still be cheaper (unless I find the parts at TRF).

John #2 - their web site just says “significant weight savings”.

EDIT - I asked Vitesse about using Tr4a kits with live axle cars and here’s what they said,

“Thank you for your enquiry. Fortunately Triumph kept the same prop shaft lengths throughout the TR production, so the TR4a kit will work for you. Please make sure you order the TR4a kit as there are differences in the clutch setup compared to the TR4 kit!”

Jim

Edited by Tr4aJim