2 Stroke Oil in a TR6 fuel tank ?!

Friend of mine has just acquired a UK TR6 pi car, running on standard the Lucas injection kit with a bosch type pump.

The seller informed him that he always added a cup of 2 stroke oil to every tank full of fuel to "lube the injectors" he was told.

This is approx a 200:1 mix.

I've never personally heard of anyone doing this and frankly I wouldn't do it myself but thought I would raise the issue here to see if its a pracice others have followed rather than using the more common lead substitute offerings ?

Thanks

Bob

Bob, I have to admit, I did it myself....1:100.  But only occasionally before heavy driving (racetrack) or such. However, in my opinion, there is no justification for such procedure and very dabatable.....Whether deposits increase or lubrication is improved seems to be faith rather than science.

Jochem

Hi Bob,

to do this was very common on pre war engines, special SV engines. I do this sometimes on my Nortons.

I did that also already on my TR4A (SU HS6) with about 1:100 some years ago, I had the impression the ecceleration was better - but perhaps this was only my wish?

We had that already some weeks ago, it's called "cognitiv dissonance reduction" (realize what you expect because what you did was too much effort to eccept the truth).

But what you have to know, with the oil in the petrol you reduce its octane and get for example more likely running on problems.

No problem for a low compression pre war SV engine and running on should not be a problem on injection engines....

You could test it yourself and report here?

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

On a slightly separate note...I remember reading how leaded petrol provided lubrication for the rotating parts of the metering unit...and that using unleaded would cause the metering units to fail...

I've never put any lead additive in my TR6 and just run it on supermarket 95 Ron and so far no problems...although to be fair I've ony covered about 3k since I got it back on the road

A friend with all original PI kit (ina GTSuperSix) used to add 2Stroke oil, that he said removed a squeak fron the Lucas pump, and helped keep the fuel cool.

I never have, but then none of my pumping gear is original.

John

9 hours ago, Mike C said:

I've read about it for diesel 4WD's. I wouldn't do it for a PI - the injectors seem to get along fine with petrol as a lubricant.

Yes, quite advisable if you wish to run a newer Diesel engine on AVTUR. AVTUR doesn't have the lubrication in it, so not much point with normal diesel - or a TR6!

Thanks gents for all the comments, I did think Octane would be a casualty - albeit very minor.

I'll pass the owner these points, seems he can choose what he wants to do without major consequenses in either direction.

Cheers

Bob