Cylinder head

Evening all I will be having some work carried out on my cylinder head in January. In the estimate they have included 2 items I would like some advice on please.

1 dip and and then wash in anti-rust bath.

2 resin impregnate to tackle porosity 

if it was your cylinder head would you have is done.

Mike. Redrose group 

^ +1 Nope again

Mick Richards

Why not?

C&B in London used to offer this service to 4 cyl TR cyl heads on exchange after having a few come back with water leaks from above the spark plug areas.  That was in the 1980's

Cheers

Peter W

Vacuum impregnation is normal for all new automotive castings...its why (to a significant extent) cars dont leak oil anymore. I doubt it would work well on a used casting as it's impossible to clean those porous areas...but if its not too expensive then why not try...

Mike

i will send you a contact that is used where I now work. Worth a call at least. 

H

I used to be involved in engine testing and we used a prduct called Dichtol for sealing minor pourosity in castings.  As most modern engines are aluminium it was very effective but I do agree that old castings with the porosity contaminated with oil etc. may produce less positive results.   Definitely would require the maximum level of cleaning achievable.

Neil

Talk to these people 

https://www.head-shop-uk.co.uk

or

https://www.chaseengines.co.uk

You can then get a feel for what’s needed. 

Edited by Hamish