SU HS6 Carb clean up

Hi Guys,

Cleaned up my TR4a HS6 carbs in an ultrasonic  cleaning tank and got rid of all the years of gunk.

However the finish on the carbs looks a bit old and blotchy which I guess is to be expected as they have been left unused for 38 years!

Other that bead blasting, which tends to clean up the alloy surface, but can  destroy  the original finish, any ideas of any process that will improve the look but retain  the original finish:huh:.

Also trying to work out the linkage set up as my TR4a Workshop manual does not show a SU  HS6 setup and the carb/linkage were loose in a box.? The Moss catalogue gives a pretty good picture but its not showing the linkage  fitted to the carbs. Any ideas on a good diagram giving clear set up arrangement?

Cheers 

Rich

Hi Rich,

I guess it depend what you want. Some prefer an “almost-chrome look”, not me. I would use aluminium polish paste on the pots, and have used it in the past; goes well with a good wine or wisky. I also did that on my TR6 throttle bodies, but did not overdo it, if you know what I mean. Glass bead blasting with a gentle pressure will make them like new, if you have access to that, but requires complete disassembly and (best) ultra-sonic cleaning after.

Waldi

Hi Rich ,

a deep clean with carb cleaner will get you started.

Prunus blasting (Crushed nuts - oooh matron) is a very mild form of blasting. Can be done wet or dry. If you know anybody on an airfield - use a lot in aerospace.

Autosol and elbow grease (the human form) to bring up the shine.

The Moss carb picture is actually quite good.  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/fuel-system-induction-controls/carburettors-manifolds/carburettors-air-filters-hs6-su-tr4a-1965-67.html

Make an A4 print  and then Snowpak out all the non-linkage items - it will come together.

Roger

I use a polishing mop in the electric drill and the correct grade of polishing soap.  Dash pots clean up nicely and not too bling.

Have used this company to Vapour Blast thermostat housings and other aluminium items.  They come out looking like bought ones.

https://decorrosion.co.uk/

Peter W

PS This sort of thing  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18pc-Deluxe-Polishing-Kit-Buffing-Metal-Car-Caravan-Spindle-Drill-Pad-TE847/122133481108?hash=item1c6fb90694:g:kIkAAOSwlJNahVkG

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
7 hours ago, rvwp said:

Hi Guys,

Cleaned up my TR4a HS6 carbs in an ultrasonic  cleaning tank and got rid of all the years of gunk.

Also trying to work out the linkage set up as my TR4a Workshop manual does not show a SU  HS6 setup and the carb/linkage were loose in a box.? The Moss catalogue gives a pretty good picture but its not showing the linkage  fitted to the carbs. Any ideas on a good diagram giving clear set up arrangement?

Cheers 

Rich

Rich  -  these photos should  help

Cheers from another Rich!

IMG_0071 Resized.JPG

IMG_0072 Resized.JPG

IMG_0073 Resized.JPG

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips. I will probably lightly bead blast them and then back in the ultra-sonic cleaner. Not looking for polished surface just consistent surface finish, especially the domes.

Thanks Rich (RCW) for the pictures. That will help considerably. Looks like the manifold has been painted silver, looks nice?

Rich 

7 minutes ago, rvwp said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips. I will probably lightly bead blast them and then back in the ultra-sonic cleaner. Not looking for polished surface just consistent surface finish, especially the domes.

Thanks Rich (RCW) for the pictures. That will help considerably. Looks like the manifold has been painted silver, looks nice?

Rich 

Rich - The manifold has no paint on it - that's the finish you get from glass bead blasting. I had a set like this done for my TR4 restoration in 2012 and they still look almost as good today.

Cheers Rich