TR2 WHEEL ALIGNMENT

I have just had a proper wheel alignment done on the restored TR2. The figures after the alignment are:

Left                                     Right

Camber    1.4 deg                                1.52 deg

Castor       -1.33 deg                            -0.07 deg

Toe in        -1.1mm                                -1.0mm

What impact will this have on the steering?

The castor is obviously out on the left wheel, it should be 0. I believe I can adjust this by moving the top ball joint towards the back of the car. How can I do this?

B

7 hours ago, John McCormack said:

I have just had a proper wheel alignment done on the restored TR2. The figures after the alignment are:

Left                                     Right

Camber    1.4 deg                                1.52 deg

Castor       -1.33 deg                            -0.07 deg

Toe in        -1.1mm                                -1.0mm

What impact will this have on the steering?

The castor is obviously out on the left wheel, it should be 0. I believe I can adjust this by moving the top ball joint towards the back of the car. How can I do this?

B

The only way you can do this on early chassis is to utilise one of the adjustable top wishbone kits, its a possible symptom of a slightly twisted turret which is relatively easy done on early chassis.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

The only way you can do this on early chassis is to utilise one of the adjustable top wishbone kits, its a possible symptom of a slightly twisted turret which is relatively easy done on early chassis.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. This is what I thought.

Having inspected it today it looks like the top ball joint is slightly out of alignment, the top of the vertical link looks to be a little bit forward of where it should be. The position of the top of the vertical link is really set by the vertical link but I am going to reverse the upper wishbones just in case they are the problem.

Do you think the 1.33 deg castor is enough to warrant fixing it? The car has a slight drift to the left.

2 hours ago, Lebro said:

As I recall, the ball joint pushes into the wishbones on splines. could it be you are 1 spline out ?

Bob.

Wont actually make any difference as its only turning on the centre axis , you need to move the centre axis forwards or backwards to alter the castor.

Stuart.

The chassis was straight and has not had any accidents/repairs.

I undid the top ball joint, it wasn't fully tight as it turned out, and gave the ball joint a tap or two towards the back of the car. It looked to then be vertical.
I also loosened the top wishbone mount and gave it a few taps with a hammer to take up any slack.

A test drive this morning and it is better. A slight drift to the left on the road camber and when I get on a flat road it is OK.

Edited by John McCormack

I have moved the left top ball joint as far back as I can by taking up the slack in the wishbone pivot. I did the opposite on the right side to get the caster as close as possible to be the same as the left side.

I also tightened the steering, suspension and the chassis cross brace to make sure there was no slack, which there was before I tightened it. This is something I was due to do any way after about 700 miles back in the road.

The steering and handling is much improved. The car will drift slightly when there is pronounced camber to the left but it isn't an issue now.

Thinking about this issue raises a question. Are chassis aligned differently for left and right hand drive cars. Is a LHD car chassis set up for driving on roads with the camber to the right and a RHD car for camber to the left?

Edited by John McCormack

For US market they did have a small spacer on the passenger (Right hand) side so that side sat slightly lower to accommodate the slightly "Ahem" larger US customer as a driver. Thats all.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart