EFI - What Plugs?

I'm using NGK Iridium BPR6EIX plugs but I've had some trouble with them fouling, what are others using?

I can't see why fitting EFi would change the required heat range for the spark plugs, but those with more experienced may know better.

So I would go for standard plugs, or better still a multi-electrode alternative like NGK BUR6ET or Bosch WR78. The multi-electrode plugs give easier starting, smoother idle and better pick up with electronic ignition, so guess they would do the same with EFi.

Nigel

I'm extremely satisfied with my NGK BUR6ET's -but I have standard PI. I installed them because I was getting extreme carbon fouling on the BP6ES's on short runs . They fixed the problem

Edited by Mike C
Note on fouling added.

Multi electrode plugs IMO are a sales gimmick and never been convinced that they give any performance advantage other than perhaps longer life even in forced induction engines. Rather its the energy of the spark delivered  to the tip in the first place. This is perhaps where Iridium tips are better as the tips erode more slowly to maintain the gap longer along with a constant spark output.

I'd think about going down the COP route have a look here https://www.efi-parts.co.uk/index.php?categoryID=80  for the ultimate in spark production and is what I'd do if going EFI. I've used this company a lot in the past with excellent service with regard to both parts and rolling road set up.

Andy

1 hour ago, Mike C said:

I'm extremely satisfied with my NGK BUR6ET's -but I have standard PI. I installed them because I was getting extreme carbon fouling on the BP6ES's on short runs . They fixed the problem

+1 with the rocker cover breather disconnected from the plenum to prevent oil fouling of the rear plugs.  Standard PI and distributor ignition.

15761062143020.jpg

Hi Iain,

I had my EFI map refined some time ago, by a company called Norris Motorsport, next door to Peter Burgess actually.

Karl Norris advised to put NGK BKR 7EIX in mine. This is what I now use, and I have the same set-up as you. I have done at least 15k miles on these plugs in the last two years, with no issues whatsoever. 

They are not expensive either.

Cheers.

Thanks chaps, I have ordered some BUR6ET and I’ll see how it goes with them.

I use NGK BR7ES in mine.

As Harry says, resistor plugs and leads are required to avoid ECU interferance. I had a very irritating intermittent misfire caused by using the wrong type of lead.

Jerry

Edited by jerrytr5

My issue appears to not be plug related, I am getting a very strong spark out of the coil pack, I swapped the plug for a new one and was still having issues, on checking the six way connector I have between the Vauxhall V6 injector loom I have and the Emerald loom,  I found moisture around the pins. In my efforts to dry this out, the wire corresponding to the problematic plug has pulled out, suggesting the connection was weak. The combination of the weak connection and the moisture is hopefully the cause of my issues. Unfortunately I can't get a new pin to click in the body, I have a new connector on order so hopefully test it soon.

On the issue of Spark plug leads you must have the right ones for waisted spark connectors. I of course had the wrong ones which were problematic and caused a misfire a few years down the line. I asked Emerald to supply the correct leads and they now do so (will save a lot of grief in the future) . I had mine made up elsewhere and tested by Emerald but now as they make them  I would order from them only.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

20190315_162043_resized.jpg

1 hour ago, harrytr5 said:

On the issue of Spark plug leads you must have the right ones for waisted spark connectors. I of course had the wrong ones which were problematic and caused a misfire a few years down the line. I asked Emerald to supply the correct leads and they now do so (will save a lot of grief in the future) . I had mine made up elsewhere and tested by Emerald but now as they make them  I would order from them only.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

My plugs are a custom set made by Magnecor Harry, supplied by Racestorations and are what they use on EFI conversions, the issue appears to have been some liquid (petrol residue) in a connector, I have a new one arriving tomorrow and I'll remake the joint. Ignore the numbering on the leads, this was as supplied and was cobblers!

MyCar.jpg

Edited by iani