Column light switch

Hi all my light switch has failed and I need to replace it, So I need to undo the channel where the wiring goes down the steering column. Any advice on the best course of action after removing the seat and steering wheel, I can clearly see one bracket and can get access to that, but I’m assuming there’s going to be another bracket very close to the back of the dash? Is that a clicks out job to get to?

TIA

Take the Rev counter and Speedo out that will give you much more access. Be careful of repro switches as some arent very good at all and dont pinch the wires when you put the tray back.

Stuart.

Hi Carl,

another tedious job. Work slowly and it will happen.

Ref this Moss page  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/steering-suspension/steering/steering-column-wheels-tr5-6-1967-76.html

You need to remove the cover #34

To do this you need to remove #50 & #51  and on a TR4A #48

This will allow the steering column to move up/down to get the cover #34 out. The cover pushes forward and then down.

Do remember to put clip #51 back in place.

Roger

Yikes!!, ... the manual has one thing to say about fires, and that's stay away from them, they're too hot to handle!! ... back to the steering column, it helps if you disconnect the top rubber joint so that you can move the dash section of the column back and forth as the little tray wriggles out,   .... with the new switch I recently installed I found that the supplied outer black sheath was a little on the large size and took a bit of squashing to get it to sit neatly.

Cheers Rob