Front wheel arch liners

I have had aluminium rear wheel arch liners fitted for ever and they have done a perfect job in stopping any crud being thrown up and lodging around the rear light clusters. I am to have some work done on the front wings and  propose to install front liners to protect my investment. I note that TRGB currently have these in fibre glass at an attractive price of £140 the pair. Does anyone have any experience of these particular liners. How are they attached so that they can be removed easily if access is ever needed to remove the side light/indicator repeater unit?

Tim 

Hi Tim,

when I fitted mine many moons ago I used bathroom sealant (acrylic/silicon) in four or five blobs around the main contact area.

At the ends I used upholstery clips just to keep things together. This works very well until you need to get in there.

Easy enough to remove but time consuming to clean the liners before re-installing.   Thankfully not often required.

Or you could go to a more mechanical attachment. I now have M4 rivnuts on the wheel arches. Easy tpo remove and re-install.

Of course this requires drilling into the metal work.

Roger

We have covered this before on the TR6 forum I think. I use 2BA Rivnuts to hold them in, I use the Revington ones they have a rubber seal to go against the arch.

Stuart.

Tonys TR6 330.jpg

Tonys TR6 333.jpg

Many thanks Roger and Stuart, that makes it clear - Rivnuts on leading and trailing edges of the liners, should make for easy removal when necessary. If they come without then I guess a self adhesive closed cell foam strip all along the edge of the liner should stop anything getting between it and the wheel arch.

Tim

If rebuilding the body shell, I've seen a small steel plate about 2"x1" welded to the edge of the inner wheel arch and sticking into the wheelarch space enough to get a fixing on.  Typically, there would be 4 or 5 fixed  around the wheelarch circumference so you can fix the liner to this with a self tapper or even a rivnut, This way you don't get to see the mountings under the bonnet as the fixing is totally contained within the wing void - you can do the same at the rear.

Hope this helps

Cheers   Rich 

10 hours ago, tim hunt said:

Many thanks Roger and Stuart, that makes it clear - Rivnuts on leading and trailing edges of the liners, should make for easy removal when necessary. If they come without then I guess a self adhesive closed cell foam strip all along the edge of the liner should stop anything getting between it and the wheel arch.

Tim

The outer edge of the liner, where it goes against the wing, needs a seal along its length.

I think this is the seal that Stuart is inferring.

Riger

3 hours ago, rcreweread said:

If rebuilding the body shell, I've seen a small steel plate about 2"x1" welded to the edge of the inner wheel arch and sticking into the wheelarch space enough to get a fixing on.  Typically, there would be 4 or 5 fixed  around the wheelarch circumference so you can fix the liner to this with a self tapper or even a rivnut, This way you don't get to see the mountings under the bonnet as the fixing is totally contained within the wing void - you can do the same at the rear.

Hope this helps

Cheers   Rich 

Along with the two rivnuts illustrated above at the rear inner side of the liner I also fit a small "L" bracket to the front inner edge  of the floor drop section to take another rivnut at the very bottom, with those and the one at the front you dont need any more fixings so completely invisible inside the under bonnet area.

The rears are fixed with two rivnuts on the lower rear of the back arch, one up in the top centre which is behind the firewall (take care when drilling the top one on the left hand side one on a 5 & 6 and the right hand one on a 4/4a due to the proximity of the wiring loom where it runs over the top of the arch) then one more on the front lower edge of the rear arch too.

Stuart.

Tonys TR6 334.jpg

Tonys TR6 335.jpg

Not on a Triumph, but this is how I did it on my last car.  .

post-20151-0-85090700-1494141709.jpg

post-20151-0-43310900-1498033893.jpg

post-20151-0-75229300-1498034233.jpg

^ the fastenings and their washers are in stainless.

post-20151-0-42444000-1498034491.jpg

^ The copper pipe is simply to hold the rubber inner off the exhaust.  Note the large hole is (below) behind the inner so that engine heat keeps that area dry.

post-20151-0-23484000-1498035004.jpg

Using fabric reinforced rubber sheet which not only keeps the mud out of the corners but is also sound absorbing  against tyre noise and road water splash.  Their overall cost was probably a tenth of the fibreglass ones you are discussing. As you can see I had also extended them down under the car as mud-flaps to help protect the chassis, sills and floors, exhaust and underslung suspension from road spray on this particular car.    

Pete.

Edited by Bfg
  • 1 year later...
On 12/12/2019 at 11:39 AM, stuart said:

Along with the two rivnuts illustrated above at the rear inner side of the liner I also fit a small "L" bracket to the front inner edge  of the floor drop section to take another rivnut at the very bottom, with those and the one at the front you dont need any more fixings so completely invisible inside the under bonnet area.

The rears are fixed with two rivnuts on the lower rear of the back arch, one up in the top centre which is behind the firewall (take care when drilling the top one on the left hand side one on a 5 & 6 and the right hand one on a 4/4a due to the proximity of the wiring loom where it runs over the top of the arch) then one more on the front lower edge of the rear arch too.

Stuart.

Tonys TR6 334.jpg

Tonys TR6 335.jpg

Stuart, most useful thank you. I'm sending you a PM if you would be so kind

Rgds

David