TR4a- SU HS6 carb heat shield

Hi guys,

Has any one used a heat shield mounted between the inlet  manifold above the exhaust manifold to reduce heat transferring to  the HS6 carbs on a TR4a?

I remember a heat shield being standard on a similar set HS6 set up om my MGA Twin cam previously owned. ( see Moss MGA catalogue).  Seems like it would be pretty easy to make subject to acquiring suitable asbestos free sheeting to back up an steel/alloy plate sandwiched between the inlet manifold and the carbs.

Is the heat a problem anyway?

Any comments would be appreciated 

Hi Rich,

my 4A HS6 carbs rarely get anywhere near needing anything to keep the heat away.

The only occasions are in stand still/slow TRaffic for a prolonged time and then it clears quickly once moving.

The heat shield may give more inconvenience than a help.

Roger 

Heat is a problem when a 4-branch, steel, exhaust manifold is used in place of the standard cast iron lump.

However, trying to fit and fix a heat shield in place is quite a challenge, which is why I've never done it!

Ian Cornish

Great response, thanks. Was just asking, No need for a heatshield then, so won't go down that route.

Rich 

If you touch the carbs ANY time - they are cold by the vaporizing petrol as long as the engine runs.

If you stop the engine they become "warm" by the engine heat, but have been so cold before, so they are never hot.

If the petrol would boil the SUs are so extreme simple - (no idel jet) - the unlikely vaporized petrol can't be trapped anywhere.

So - then why worry?

edit: BTW, I have "anti run on" - valves below both SU HS6, this also without heat shield and without any problems

1350291036_antirunonvaves-b.jpg.b3d1a40969182b09ea4bba7dde627a7a.jpg

Edited by Z320