TR6 front Suspension Turret - Internal Spacer

This may be a dumb question, but worth asking should I be missing something obvious.

Just pulled apart the front RH suspension to rebush and and was surprised to see a cupped spacer loose inside the turret.  This fits between the top of the shock and the underside of the turret and cannot be removed although it floats around when the shock is removed.

I can't find any reference to this in the Parts Catalogue or the Brown Book so curious as to its function.

Any guidance appreciated

Thx

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Adrian,

welcome to the forum

the spring has a large cup (spacer)  #58   and the shock strut has a rubber bush #62  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/steering-suspension/front-suspension/front-suspension-tr5-6-1967-76.html

are these what you are talking about

Roger

I get the feeling Adrian means 57 and 58. Sometimes 58 can stick up there and needs a bit of prodding to get out.

Roger/John

Thx for the notes and the welcome.  These are not what I'm seeing.  It's a cupped spacer that fits inside the turret between the top of the shock and the lower face of the turret top.  Its made of steel and seems to be there to spread the load of the shock within the turret. 

The chassis was made in 1992 by TR Chassis Centre of Bromsgrove.  I'm guessing it may have been a modification so was curious if anyone has seen it before.  I've yet to look at the LH side (can't do that yet as its close to the garage wall) so it will have to wait until the RH is back together. 

Just hoping there is the same on the LH turret!

IMG 2686 shows the top of the spacer (its turned through 180deg in the picture) and this is the face that abuts against the inside of the top of the turret.

IMG 2683 shows the bottom of the spacer where the shock would be.  Installed this is pushed into the top of the turret.

Rgds

Adrian

IMG_2686.JPG

IMG_2683.JPG

I suspect thats supposed to be welded in there, On the original chassis turrets there is a large pressing to take the top of the spring and the rest where the shock goes is a single large pressing, if you enlarge this picture you should be able to just see what I mean.

Stuart.

IMG_1433 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1432 - Copy.JPG

Edited by stuart

Thx Stuart

The picture you sent is how I expected it to be ;-)

It shows no sign of ever being welded within the turret - but as its too large to come out it must have been there since build.  I'll see what the LH side is like - probably another week until that - and then I may have to drop the RH shock and spot weld the mystery spacer to the top of the turret if that's how the LH side is.

Adrian

1 hour ago, John L said:

Is the spacer #58 in RogerH's post always fitted or does it depend on which spring is fitted?  Is there a chart/list which details this please?

John

Its not often fitted just depends on the particular spring, in that link you will note those springs are NCA

Your usually supplied now with TT4212PR instead which doesnt require it.

Stuart.

Thought I'd post an update on the mystery turret spacer now that I've ripped the LH side apart.   The LH side has one also, but this spacer seems to be tacked to the inside of the turret when the the RH side is loose.

I'm going to tack the RH side in place also.

Rods

Adrian