Radiator Cowl.

27 minutes ago, Phil6 said:

Cheers Darren I got the exact cowl I was looking for from your recommendation.

Phil.

Pleased you got it sorted. It's certainly better than the cardboard one which only lasts a couple of years.

• 7 months later...

I had the gift of a cowl consisting of 3 parts, which I have fitted (after some work with hacksaw and file). However there are two stays which go from the front apron to the inner wing. These clash with the new cowl whereas on the cardboard one I could 'adjust' the cardboard to suit.

Has this been a problem with others who have installed a metal cowl?

IMG_5927.JPG

On 9 December 2019 at 11:56 AM, Phil6 said:

Hi there, I am looking to source a polished Aluminium or Stainless steel radiator cowl for my LHD TR6

any suggestions please.

Phil.

PI or Carb?

here is a member selling in Buy Sell Trade 

Cheers

Peter W

Bought a few from this supplier who lives in Coventry good quality. The TR6 stays will need a bend to go over the stainless top, every one I have done have needed this. A couple of cars I also had to cut some off the front outer edge on each side from the top, this did not apply to all TR's so I guess it is a body varient of the curve. A good quality hacksaw blade managed it.

Rob

8 hours ago, Mark69 said:

Nick, are your stays fitted the right way round I’m sure from memory one end as a slight kink.

Mark.

Hi Mark,

Yes they are. They are secured using the same bolt as the cowl. The actual stay is not kinked, just the flattened ends are. I need to use a pipe bender to adjust them slightly, should be OK then!!

Thanks for the feedback

NIck.

8 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Nick,

have you got a pic of the whole of the area (radiator, strut rear end etc)

This is my home made version on a 4A and the struts are well clear of the cowl.

Roger

DSC_4547a.jpg

Hi Roger,

I will post another photo tomorrow. The stay at the apron end is fixed using the same bolt as the cowl. Discussing this with a local TR owner who has fitted one of these to a TR6, he said his rests on the bend of the cowl. So it's all a bit tight!!

Thanks for the feedback

NIck.

2 hours ago, SteveB21 said:

Hi Nick

Mine had the same issue. I just put a thin piece of self-adhesive foam under each stay bar where it touched the cowl and bolted everything down!

cheers

Steve

+1

16 hours ago, Nick Rowe said:

Hi Roger,

I will post another photo tomorrow. The stay at the apron end is fixed using the same bolt as the cowl. Discussing this with a local TR owner who has fitted one of these to a TR6, he said his rests on the bend of the cowl. So it's all a bit tight!!

Thanks for the feedback

NIck.

Hi Roger,

I hope you can see this, it's difficult with all the reflections. I haven't fixed the stays in place as yet, so the just lay on the top. The offside stay should be fixed to the reddish cross headed bolt just above it. The black line on the stay is where I need to bend it, if I can!!
Cheers

Nick

Engine bay with cowl.jpeg

Edited by Nick Rowe
Add info
14 hours ago, SteveB21 said:

Hi Nick

Mine had the same issue. I just put a thin piece of self-adhesive foam under each stay bar where it touched the cowl and bolted everything down!

cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

Interesting option, does it damage the cowl? The stays are too strong to bend around the cowl so something has to give!!

Cheers

Nick

Hi,

Interesting ... Where on the inner wing is the stay attached? Just that it looks higher than on mine. I also note the rubber finishing 'sleeve' is the same as mine in as much as it is too big for the cowl thickness. I have stuck mine on!!

Did you manage to juggle the cowl under the overflow pipe from the radiator and then under the grill fixing screws? I had to cut a slot in mine.

Cheers, Nick

38 minutes ago, Nick Rowe said:

Hi,

Interesting ... Where on the inner wing is the stay attached? Just that it looks higher than on mine. I also note the rubber finishing 'sleeve' is the same as mine in as much as it is too big for the cowl thickness. I have stuck mine on!!

Did you manage to juggle the cowl under the overflow pipe from the radiator and then under the grill fixing screws? I had to cut a slot in mine.

Cheers, Nick

Hi Nick, here's a photo on the other side showing both ends of the stay.

I assembled it in sections, as I installed it. It was easier that way. I may have removed the overflow pipe but didn't have to cut anything. 

I left the rubber edges on and attached them with insulation tape. Tbh I assumed they were only there to protect the edges in transit but I preferred to keep them on.

20200725_150325.thumb.jpg.1c292214f4598b26baa379f5291a91fc.jpg

Edited by DRD
Update
1 hour ago, Nick Rowe said:

Hi,

Cheers, Nick

Hi Nick, here's a photo on the other side showing both ends of the stay.

I assembled it in sections, as I installed it. It was easier that way. I may have removed the overflow pipe but didn't have to cut anything. 

I left the rubber edges on and attached them with insulation tape. Tbh I assumed they were only there to protect the edges in transit but I preferred to keep them on.

Edited by DRD
Duplicate

Hi Nick

it pushed the top of the cowl down by a couple of millimetres - not much at all.  Re-reading your post it looks like you will need much more adjustment. Unfortunately every TR is different!  
Cheers

Steve

• 2 weeks later...