gearbox cover seal?

Non setting mastic would be the thing to use. I'm sure Stuart will be along to suggest which one.

I made a grave error when I fitted mine in 2013, I used a polyurethane sealer, which I now know sets to be very tough, & very sticky.

It will be a real struggle to remove my cover when the time comes.

Bob.

I used a foam tape that is very effective. It did stick in a couple of places when I had to remove the gearbox cover but it wasn’t too bad. It is about 1” wide and self adhesive on one side whilst the other is foam. 

Rgds Ian

17 minutes ago, Ian Vincent said:

I used a foam tape that is very effective. It did stick in a couple of places when I had to remove the gearbox cover but it wasn’t too bad. It is about 1” wide and self adhesive on one side whilst the other is foam. 

Rgds Ian

Thats the best idea though it does need to be closed cell foam or it will take on water. Also it does really need to be fire proof too.

Stuart.

I used this stuff:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/diall-sealing-strip-brown-24m/150fr

Then, when screwed down, cover with strips of duct tape.(Gaffer tape.), as others have said.

It was designed for airconditioning duct joints so it’s tough and airtight

Don’t forget to run a tap through the cage nuts before you drop the cover on, just to clear out the threads. (It’s a bit difficult once the cover is in place !)

Charlie.