Pinion height or fore/aft position

Hello All,

Does anyone have the dimension or know where I might get the figure for the pinion height or fore/aft position on a 3.7:1 TR6 differential. The figure is not in the workshop manual and just refers to using the special setting tool.

I've done the usual searches and just found a lot of noise on the subject.  I would really like a number and or a reference/link where to find it Pleezze.

Cheers,

On 12/9/2019 at 11:48 AM, ed_h said:

Check out this link:  http://www.74tr6.com/pdfs/Differential.pdf

Ed

Thanks Ed,  I found it while ago and read it at length, I would not call it a succinct piece of writing, really can't see where he gives the actual concise length.

However with a re reading, I found the measurement, But would like to have a confirmation from another source.

Cheers,

Edited by trolleybus

Issue: "gearbox, prop shaft, differential", or "rear axle, differential, drive shafts",

no special model, not only TR6

had that only 7 months ago at "general technic", with a different article

sadly lost there in the "big heap"

Later I discussed this with a friend, he made several diffs.

He told me this dimension is originally writen on the top of the pinion.

I don't know if it is true....

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
12 hours ago, Z320 said:

Issue: "gearbox, prop shaft, differential", or "rear axle, differential, drive shafts",

no special model, not only TR6

had that only 7 months ago at "general technic", with a different article

sadly lost there in the "big heap"

Later I discussed this with a friend, he made several diffs.

He told me this dimension is originally writen on the top of the pinion.

I don't know if it is true....

Ciao, Marco

The dimension given on the top of the original TR6 pinion head that I have seen was  -3, -2, -1,  N   +1, +2, +3.   Also etched on the pinion head was a number that matched it to its paired crown wheel.

The dimension is from the standard setting (N) in thousandths of an inch. So if you have an ORIGINAL factory diff that is fitted with a pinion having -1 on the pinion head you should replace with the same or 0.001" adjustment to pinion height will be required to get back to original setting.

The TR6 diff has an adjusting washer between the head of the pinion and the big pinion bearing, which sets the pinion height. This adjusting washer must be installed with a new pinion or the height will be all to cock.  The sizes and part numbers of these adjusting washer I think is only given in the Triumph Parts Technical Information sheets, not the parts books.  The rigid axle TR2/3/4 as far as I have found do not use this adjusting washer.  In these the pinion height is set by shims between casing and big pinion bearing outer race.

I have no idea about modern replacement CW&P sets.

Cheers

Peter W

The Moss parts list shows that the part numbers for the TR6 Crown Wheel & Pinion  and the Diff. bearings are the same as those for the TR2 & TR3 with the 3.7:1 ratio.

Does Logic say that the setting up dimensions are also the same ?

Regards Colin

Hi Peter,

thanks for that answer, but this gives me more questions.

Allow me to ask them todays evening on my thread, not because it is my thread

but because it is listed at "general technic" and not related to any special model.

Ciao, Marco