bolts of the brake discs not tight

Issue: brakes, or general technic,

not related to any special TR model

Hi there,

had to change my brake discs and found the 4 bolts holding them on the hub not tight.

Not slack, but they have been very easy to open, I'm shure the discs moved while braking!

Reason was, the guy who restored my TR in 1992 painted the surface of the front hub - and the paint never stands the preasure.

And with different thickness of the paint the discs can tumble (this was not the case).

P1140692-b.JPG.e615687367c233ae9ecb7f397258980c.JPG

I removed the paint from the surface and locked the bolts with the torque told by the workshop manual.

P1140698-b.JPG.5171aefb6260f52eb2b049bfa9d522ab.JPG

This should be Ok for the future.

Please realize this, also with your whire wheels adaptors and your steeel wheels on the other side of the hub and on your brake drums.

I would like to reccommend you to have no paint in between.

Ciao, Marco 

Edited by Z320

^ +1

Also don't think you get away with it if you use paint of any description between mating surfaces. On trucks over the last 20 or 30 years we've seen mechanics with sledge hammers trying to break the bond of melted paint where hub faces and the inside of wheels had been painted with a 2 pack paint which had then melted when in use and fused together, and this would be after only 6 or 8 weeks use from new (Operator licensing requirements). Can't imagine the bond if wheels have been on for 8 or 12 months before trying to remove, as said above keep the mating surfaces steel on steel (or alloy).

Mick Richards

I always give these mating faces a very (very) thin coat of grease (After scraping old rust bits off, to protect them a bit from corroding. Works fine for me. Don’t overdo it, or you will run the same risk Marco has shown.

Waldi

I fell foul of this with a wire wheel extension shortly after I had renovated my TR3a. Fortunately I noticed the strange steering and upon checking found the rear hub was about to part company with the car. It had completely knackered the studs in no time at all. 

Nowadays it’s belt and braces, I removed all traces of paint and use loctite after tightening to 65lbsft. 

Rgds Ian