That CTM (Colin Matthews) has closed has been revealed elsewhere on the Forum, but since the news may affect any owner of TR2 to TR6, I am posting this news from Neil Revington here (please note, I am NOT advertising Neil's offering, solely providing information!):

We have bitten the bullet and are making them here. We have a workshop close by where the operator is super keen to get the process to a point there we supply all new chassis but for the moment we are offering an exchange service.  He has had the jigs made and we have delivered 3 chassis already with a 4th in process, and we have 4 forward orders, so it is all go.

See  https://www.revingtontr.com/tr4a/chassis/chassis/complete-chassis

You might like to alert the Forum to the fact that there is no break in supply, as we can now supply customer’s needs.

Neil's words in italics.

Ian Cornish

Hi Ian,

many thanks for that.

I see at the bottom  Revingtons description that the 4A chassis can not be used on a 5 or 6

NOTE 2: Be aware that there are slight differences between the differential mountings to TR4AIRS cars and Tlater cars. The differential support pins protrude downwards 157mm on TR4A cars and 162mm on later cars, as the rear mounting arrangement is different between TR4AIRS and later cars. Therefore a TR4A chassis cannot be used for a TR250, 5 or 6 or visa versa unless the engine and differential mounts are changed.

Is this tru/facte.

As I'm sure I have a TR6 chassis on my 4A for the last 20 odd years.

Roger

10 minutes ago, RogerH said:

NOTE 2: Be aware that there are slight differences between the differential mountings to TR4AIRS cars and Tlater cars. The differential support pins protrude downwards 157mm on TR4A cars and 162mm on later cars, as the rear mounting arrangement is different between TR4AIRS and later cars. Therefore a TR4A chassis cannot be used for a TR250, 5 or 6 or visa versa unless the engine and differential mounts are changed.

Is this tru/facte.

Very much so, I had to add packing pieces on my 4A CTM chassis which apparently had the long pins fitted.

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-12 at 10.04.33.jpeg

Thank goodness some one is going to still make the chassis for our cars.I rated CTM chassis and have used a few and know how good they were.

Great news Ian and thanks for the heads up.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

DSC02142.JPG

Edited by harrytr5
wrong picture

I hadn't known that CTM have closed, although Colin has been threatening it for several years now. Where was it announced on the Forum?

CTM have done me a couple of chassis repairs in the past and my TR5 restoration that I'm currently doing is on a brand new CTM chassis which I'm very pleased I bought quite a while ago.

I had 2 chassis repairs done earlier this year by the chap who does all TR Bitz body/chassis work using the TR Bitz TR5/6 chassis jig. Just a couple of weeks ago I heard from him that this TR Bitz jig had been sold to "..somebody down in the south West..." I could be putting 2 and 2 together and making 5 but for me, no guessing who that might be then.

Good luck to Revington with their new service.

Dave McD

TRGB's web site indicates that 'All major TR chassis work is carried out on our fully equipped jig, which we can repair or fully rebuild all TR2/3/4/5/6 chassis on. Customers can view the work in progress at any time'.  So there's still at least two UK suppliers with chassis jigs.

Paul

Although Colin had been threatening to retire fort some time, his decision was no doubt hastened by the redevelopment of Berry Farm for housing. I know we need lots of new housing but Berry Farm was a hive of industry with lots of small businesses operating from units that were right for their needs ie low cost

Colin produced some good stuff, my TR2 is running on a 30 year old chassis and it still looks in good shape and Andy was a skilled body repairer and a craftsman with a spray gun

Happy retirement Colin and well done Neil for picking up the baton (other chassis manufacturers are available)

Phil

• 3 months later...
On 12/9/2019 at 1:18 PM, PhilipB said:

Although Colin had been threatening to retire fort some time, his decision was no doubt hastened by the redevelopment of Berry Farm for housing. I know we need lots of new housing but Berry Farm was a hive of industry with lots of small businesses operating from units that were right for their needs ie low cost

Colin produced some good stuff, my TR2 is running on a 30 year old chassis and it still looks in good shape and Andy was a skilled body repairer and a craftsman with a spray gun

Happy retirement Colin and well done Neil for picking up the baton (other chassis manufacturers are available)

Phil

Yes, that's right. I bought it from Glen Hewitt who imported it from California and what hard slog to wire brush all the muck. Spotless, rust-free.

Why wouldn't it still be ok? No bodges, no welding. It was immaculate. I should know.

Edited by David Brancaleone

If you mean https://ctmengineering.co.uk/   Colin Matthews, his web site is still up and running.

As it happens, I was planning to go to him in a couple of months for chassis repair work so does that mean I can't?

36 minutes ago, Richard Pope said:

If you mean https://ctmengineering.co.uk/   Colin Matthews, his web site is still up and running.

As it happens, I was planning to go to him in a couple of months for chassis repair work so does that mean I can't?

Take a passport.

Mick Richards

Just made contact with Colin and he seems to be operating at least for my request this summer. I suggest others contact him direct if they want some work done before going elsewhere..

• 6 months later...

Colin is setting up again (spoke to him today) but the lead times as the Covid crisis has been hampering his progress in getting going in France. 

I'd ideally like to wait it out for a CTM chassis but I have a window of time has opened up which means I could do my long desired chassis change this winter. Kicking myself I didn't buy a CTM chassis in all the years I've been telling myself I must get one to put aside pending time... 

Anyway, the other option is Revington who, as others have posted, have set up in manufacture. 

Does anyone have any first or even second hand knowledge about how they are coming out? They are advertised as re-manufactured using some original parts (turrets and cross member as a minimum). 

Would be great to hear some feedback as it's a chunky investment in both time and effort. 

Nick 

14 hours ago, iain said:

I’ve seen the products and they look very good. They appear to have almost all pieces from new if required.

Just a tad more expensive than Colins though :blink:

Stuart.

Thanks for the feedback Iain. If I decide it has to be now or never I'll pop across to have a look for myself. Revington have suggested the same. 

As Stuart says, a tad more expensive and with Colin's chassis there is absolutely no doubt it's going to be 100%. 

I'm sure Revington will have a reference or two to speak to. 

Nick  

If anyone is considering a new TR5/250/6 chassis, I have available for sale a complete donor front end  of a pair of turrets, main crossmember and steering rack crossmember, the parts that CTM always wanted to base a new chassis on and presumably Revington will too.

PM me if required by anyone.

Dave McD