For sale : ex-works 1960 Le Mans Triumph TRS

TRLeMa1.thumb.jpg.4c8bc1e30adcb15343e81767478eac82.jpg

TRLeMa2.thumb.jpg.dc9fb2aa3acff54c3212fbbcfe6a4c7d.jpg

TRLeMa3.thumb.jpg.b8eaef9b325fde2b8f5f60d5ff8c159b.jpg

TRLeMa4.thumb.jpg.f75ecc8df166bbce0963403b63d4993e.jpg

"Following an extensive two-year restoration project, an incredibly rare Le Mans Triumph TRS sports car has been offered for sale by an Historic Car Dealership based in Oxfordshire. Pendine Historic Cars describes the car as one of just four ever built. The ex-works 1960 Triumph TRS is famous for playing a significant role in British motoring history as one of three cars which competed in Triumph’s 1960 and 1961 assault in the 24 hours of Le Mans, with their performance resulting in the prestigious manufacturer’s team prize. 

Originally registered as ‘927 HP’, the car set the scene for the yet to be released TR4 featuring one of the ‘Sabrina’ twin-cam prototype engines, developed specifically for the demanding Le Mans race by the Triumph Competition department in 1959, of which only a handful exist today.

The rare and important historic sports car has been given a sale price of £295,000and is sure to attract a wide range of collectors from around the world."

More information here : Classic Car Curation.co.uk

Deggers

Edited by Deggers
55 minutes ago, iain said:

If only they went as well as they look :-)   It’s been on the market a little while.

Hi Iain. Interesting, hadn't seen it before. I noticed this particular ad pop up just yesterday at Classic Car Curation. 

Undeniably a good looking car. But a lot of dough for your 'go'.

All hat and no cattle??

Cheers, Deggers

Its an immaculate car and would easily gain an entry into Classic Le Mans, Le Mans Legends and Goodwood, the big three historic events.  Compared to the recent sale of PKV 374  for £250k , its price tag seems quite reasonable because at least you are getting an original bespoke piece of 1950/60's engineering.  On the down side,  if it goes BANG!  while you are competing then you will probably need another £100k to fix it!   Today ,it would be hopelessly outclassed on the track given the grid it would have to compete in. At least PKV can compete on reasonable terms in its 2.0 ltr class and indeed a TR2 has won at classic Le Mans. 

If only I had accepted an offer from Rod Leach who wanted to buy my TR5 back in the late 1970's I could have had his TRS for £8,000!   But as I said at the time,  it didn't have a hood, there were no spares and it ran as rough as bo****ks so as an every day car it just wasn't feasible. .........Oh well, such is life. 

Hoges. 

paul

never mind we would all be millionaires  IF ONLY , 

seriously though i am pretty sure we could get it on a level playing field engine wise , and certainly replace anything you may break, may need deep pockets,but motorsport is not a cheap hobby nowadays.

graham