Replacing Stromberg with SU carbs?

All standard engines will benefit from having an advance/ retard vacuum connected to the distributor, only the injected engines had this removed and that was because with the fuel injection there is no vacuum in the inlet manifold for a suitable take off.

Chris

I removed the carbon canister several years a go when the car was still on Strombergs, also removed the vacuum retard hose but kept the vacuum advance hose. On my SU’s the vacuum advance could be connected so all good. The hose from the valve cover is routed into a t-connection and to each carb, the float chamber vents I just routed down to a “safe” place.

Also made a heat shield between the manifold and carbs, double 1mm alu with two layers of heat insulating material in between and under, work fine:

moxoEq1.jpg

kGQlrmE.jpg

Magnus

Edited by TRseks

Magnus

When I lived in Holland my car went into a self proclaimed TR expert to have the silencer replaced but when I picked the car up he had 'done me a favour ' and removed the carbon canister and all the plumbing grrrrr. After that I started getting running on problems and  occasionally the float chambers would overflow, so I tracked down the parts and reinstated it all which solved my troubles.

Chris

I quite agree regarding the vacuum advance/retard but with the different port arrangements between SUs and Strombergs the retard unit was operating when the car required a bit of advance  for cruise conditions so not much use. My car is a 73 so only had the retard unit.

George

Edited by harlequin