Which type of bung

Thinking of doing some chassis protection through the winter and seem to have read about drilling the chassis and injecting wax oil and then inserting rubber bungs.

I'm having difficulty locating the thread but my question is, do the bungs need to be or a certain composition so as not to be effected by the waxoil. Any guidance appreciated.

Thanks Phil

The wax treatment suppliers usually include them with the pack - Dinitrol (Rejel Auto) certainly will. Difficult to imagine plastic or rubber of any type not being suitable.

Jerry

Hi Phil,

I have never had any from WaxOyl.

However get your blanking plugs first and THEN drill the holes.  You will need more than you think.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Blanking-Rubber-Grommets-Closed-Blind-Grommet-Plugs-Bungs-Gromets-6-50mm/252953962291?hash=item3ae53b2733:m:m-2pbPkJ8JsrZmVFQjmXu5A

The internal chamber of the chassis has many bulkheads - you need to access then all.

A 1/2" hole is usually big enough to get a wand in. Make sure that the spray pattern covers ALL the internal surface.

I have found my Waxoyl has peeled off in sheets - not good.  Dinitrol and Bilthamber have very good products.

Roger

7 minutes ago, RogerH said:

I have found my Waxoyl has peeled off in sheets - not good. 

Roger

Ive never had that problem with Waxoyl did you shake it up properly first?

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

Yes, shook violently and warmed.

I found it two years or so when I replaced my NS sill on the 4A.  It had been refreshed every 2 or 3 years.   Possibly the surface of the sill was oily or whatever.

However having used it I will have to continue as I am not sure how Dinitrol etc would overcoat it !!!

Roger

48 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Stuart,

Yes, shook violently and warmed.

I found it two years or so when I replaced my NS sill on the 4A.  It had been refreshed every 2 or 3 years.   Possibly the surface of the sill was oily or whatever.

However having used it I will have to continue as I am not sure how Dinitrol etc would overcoat it !!!

Roger

Does sound as if there was something on the panel to make it do that.

Stuart.

28 minutes ago, Phil H 4 said:

Thank you all for the direction, best get the blanking grommets ordered and the axle stands out.

Whilst under there is it a good idea to coat the floor panels, currently body colour when replaced with stone guard or waxoil.

Phil

Just waxoil the entire underneath front to back thats what I do.

Stuart.

I want to treat the inside of my TR2 chassis and I note that  there are baffles that separate sections of the chassis . Does anyone have a sketch of where these baffles are ?  Keith

I think Ed shows the boxes on his website, it was also in a recent topic.

I found I had to drill little additional holes, only at the TA support points iirc. There are several original holes which provide access. Remove dirt first!

Waldi