I have spent the last few weeks repairing / restoring a pair of TR 4 / 4A / 5 doors my guess is 4A as the original colour is / was Wedgewood blue,.its been interesting and really quite enjoyable even if in this weather and with the short cold days it has take rather longer than I expected.

Anyway cut to the chase, now they are in a fine shade of battleship grey primer but I understand this is not good from a storage point of view, also I think a coat of gloss would show up any defects in my handiwork. Any suggestions as to what colour I should paint them to make it easier for any potential buyer to paint them what ever colour they need?

Thankyou David

Back to bare metal inside and out, but not painted in epoxy primer, just standard grey primer..........like they used in the factory? reasoning the original primer would not have been epoxy (would it?) and that lasted 50 years, was planing on giving the top and bottom inside a spray over with some sort of underseal" as its quite clear that's where the rust strikes.

36 minutes ago, david c said:

was planing on giving the top and bottom inside a spray over with some sort of underseal" as its quite clear that's where the rust strikes.

If you're planning to sell them, leave that for the buyer to do.

Pete

30 minutes ago, david c said:

Back to bare metal inside and out, but not painted in epoxy primer, just standard grey primer..........like they used in the factory? reasoning the original primer would not have been epoxy (would it?) and that lasted 50 years, was planing on giving the top and bottom inside a spray over with some sort of underseal" as its quite clear that's where the rust strikes.

Yes but 50 odd years ago the "standard grey primer" was going on "young steel" which hopefully was as good as you got it without any seams etc infected with rust.

If you may be storing these a while I would be cleaning the grey off and giving a coat of BondaRust primer inside and out which will give much better rust protection and seal off any areas that has rust started helping prevent further rusting. As for spraying with underseal if you are hoping to sell them that will put a good number of buyers off (what's underneath and unseen ?) whilst the BondaRust primer will do a good job without inhibiting buyers.

Mick Richards