Sound at the back when driving in a hole or bump

Since a while there is a noise when I am driving over a bump or a hole. With the front wheels there is no problem. The sound is only there when I ride over it with the rear wheels. Can it be the rear shock absorbers? The exhaust is also properly attached. If I push the back of the car (when it is standing still) there is nothing to be heard. Only when driving over a bump or hole. Does anyone have an idea what this could be?

A common occurence is the rear lever arm shock absorbers working lose - I'd start with them first, only two bolts on each & difficult to get to & torque up properly hence the problems

If your car is a TR4 with a solid axle, check the bump stops and their condition. Just changed mine (TR3), one was completely worn away and the other side displaced. You'll need to undo the four nuts securing the u-bolts and then jack up the axle to raise the axle off the chassis rail.

Agree with comments on the lever arm bolts, difficult to undo and torque up again.

Rob

1 hour ago, harrytr5 said:

On lever arm I always fit longer set screws 2" and nyloc the back, then it is secure.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

Yep works for me too on IRS cars as often the thread in the mounting plate has been stretched previously.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, Lebro said:

Also helps to use cap head bolts as you can't get a normal socket on the hex heads.

Bob

You can on an IRS chassis mounted shock.

Stuart.

Had a knocking sound at the rear at one side while driving over bumbs. It appeared the bolds from the strap keeping the axle and leaf spring together had come slightly loose.

Item 24 in the Moss cataloque https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/steering-suspension/rear-suspension/rear-suspension-tr2-4-1953-65.html

Replaced with nylocs.

Robert

I've had clonks from loose shocks and also from (very) worn-out drop links from damper arm to spring plate. 

Worth looking at all the parts back there that move when the wheels bounce, but there's a clear common topic of loose damper bolts.