MOSS NARROW PULLEY KIT

Hi Guys,

I am just fitting a Damped Narrow Pulley kit supplied by Moss to my TR4a engine.

No problem with the fitting, but as the new crank pulley has no timing marks equivalent to the original steel pulley small hole. To establish TDC when timing the ignition, is there a simple way to mark the pulley by degree before fitting. 

I know in theory if the engine is a TDC (with keyway at the bottom) then as long as the crank is not turned during the fitting procedure, then a mark can be taken from the pointer on the timing cover. However, I would prefer to mark the pully before fitting. Using a timing disc it appears that the timing cover pointer on the crank, without timing cover on,  is 30 degrees left of vertical. If this correct then a comparative 30 degree mark can be made on the pulley prior to fitting. Or not?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Rich

Make yourself a simple tdc tool put of an old spark plug ! post-9473-0-54928800-1514739882_thumb.jpeg

rotate crank one way until it stops, mark pulley

rotate crank the other way until it stops, mark pully

tdc is mid point between the marks!

steve

Meant to say in the second from last line, ` timing cover pointer on the cover is 30 degree's left of vertical' not pointer on the crank. Muppet!!:)

Rich

Hi Steve. I know accurately where TDC is  as the timing  cover is off and all timing wheel marks are lined up and were checked before the head was put on. As long as I don't move the crank whilst fitting the pulley all will be well, but you know how it goes?

Rich

Yes looks like the keyway on the original pulley extension is on the same centre line as the timing mark. Makes sense. So it should be easy enough to mark the new pulley in the same way as Mike suggested. Seems simple but was just checking.<_<

Thanks

Rich