Track day Tyres

I know - tyres again !

Interested to get views on popular tyre for road and track - Not interested in long life or cheapest !

5.5J wires -  so 165 x15 or 185 x15 ?   

Michelin XAS     Avon ZZ     Vredestein  I know is liked for road use.  

Head below parapet !

Thanks Mike

Equipe pre 63 are DUNLOP L section tyres

Equipe gts L or M SECTION DUNLOP.

The Avon zz are used by MGAs that run in the aston pre 60 races.

As Dave mentioned the ZZs were used as rain tyres in Thoroughbreds / MG bc v8  by many and were really good in the wet  [ look like caravan tyres but exceptional grip ]

so i have to use the dunlop L section tyres on my TR2 but would prefer to use ZZs. Just how these would last on the road i don't know.

ROY

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for being a bit late to this debate.  I think the answer is, "it depends". 

For a track day you want to have fun. What you want is a balance between power and grip, enough power to feel you're on the limit and not to much grip to destroy that feeling. Unlike racing, you don't need to be the fastest, you want to have fun, drift the car, feel the front sliding, feel the oversteer but most of all feel in control on the limit. 

So forget sticky tyres, and use what you use in the road.