Help....spare wheel stuck !

Help.....! a clown of a local tyre fitter has managed to stuff my TR2 spare wheel into the spare wheel tray such that I cannot remove it......It carries a wire wheel and 165 tyre and I normally fit it in with the tyre deflated and carry a foot pump, when a 165 will JUST fit in...….this twit, presumably thinking he was doing me a favour, inflated the tyre when the car was left with them for other work and managed to force it in the tray...….can anyone think of a way to get it out ?  I've just acquired a 155 tyre for future spare use to avoid the problem , but first I have to remove the 165...…..Bill P. 

If you have another tyre, it may be a case of sacrificing the stuck one by giving it a puncture.

Or possibly take it back and ask them what they are going to do about it.

Hi Bill my thoughts;

Can you get to the valve to deflate the tyre .......I assume not 

Do you want the 165 tyre fitted as a spare at the moment if not would be inclined to stick a drill through it but be careful of the back blast when it pops 

Spray the cavity with a lubricant to try and ease the tyres passage out 

Final nuclear option would be to try and loop a strap round the tyre tie the other end to something solid and very carefully edge the car forwards to 'deliver' the tyres the way James herriot used to do with calves ! 

Well if it's a tubed tyre a very small puncture through the centre of the tread (scriber?) won't ruin the tyre, and the tube may even be repairable afterwards. You might just have to wait a while for it to deflate. 

or Try putting a ratchet strap  right round the tyre and then attaching that to a fixed object, drive away slowly, it will come out.

I have a ratchet strap around the tyre

a. to help removal

b. for emergency use.

Iain

Thanks Folks, but can't of course get to the valve and can't get a tourniquet or similar round it as can't get to round the back....the thing is well and truly in.....trying to force lubricant in might help, (would WD40 or grease affect the rubber? a shame, as it is a good tyre) , but otherwise, as you say, a deliberate puncture might be the answer, in which case I'll demand the clowns mend it for free....being a wire wheel it is of course tubed, Bill P.

Bill have you got a length of parcel strap...you know the web like stuff that is pulled tight around boxes?

That will feed round the back of the Tyre and allow you to pull a strap around the back of the Tyre if you join them.

(That stuff has a multitude of uses.....mostly for those with a criminal mind!)

Iain

PS: Forgot to say, if you double the tape over and feed the folded end into the gap you can by pushing one strand and pulling the other steer it in to position. Apologies if teaching you to suck eggs!

Edited by iain

Thinking laterally, well vertically .....

jack the car up as high as possible

ratchet strap through the spokes to a roof support

lower car gently to pull wheel up and free?

steve

It depends on how good your grip is, years ago I managed to get one out by firmly gripping in as far as you can get your hands each side and just jiggling back and forwards, it depends on the tread shape as to how well you can get hold of it, it only needs to come back a little bit to be able to get  a bit of strapping in. If you have a very early open screw jack you can sometimes use that down the side with the foot against the tyre to give you a bit more pull/leverage . Or take it back to the garage and let their strong man have a go!

Stuart.

39 minutes ago, Steves_TR6 said:

Thinking laterally, well vertically .....

jack the car up as high as possible

ratchet strap through the spokes to a roof support

lower car gently to pull wheel up and free?

steve

Only one problem Steve, the spare on a sidescreen is horizontal in the under boot floor space.....

52 minutes ago, iain said:

Only one problem Steve, the spare on a sidescreen is horizontal in the under boot floor space.....

Remove the pit boards and drive in ?

Mick Richards

Bill,

Buy a cheap steel tape measure. (The wider the better.)

Cut the very end off (the bit that you usually use to hook onto something)

Oil it and push it down the side of the spare wheel.

There is a good chance that it will find it’s way behind the tyre and around it and come out the other side. If you put a bit on a curve on the very end it may well help it follow the curvature of the wheel well.

Once all the way around you can tape a rope to it, pull the tape measure back and then , when the rope has appeared back at the start, use the normal “Pull it out” method.

I’ve used steel tape measures like this when cable pulling in under floor data halls.

Amazing how well it (sometimes) works getting around bends that are impossible to reach.

I think this is what Iain was saying, except that if you don’t have parcel strap a tape measure is quite easy to get hold of.

Of course this will only work if there is a small space between the tyre and the back of the wheel well, but if it was a struggle to get in I would guess that the fitter would have pushed it in the minimum amount.

Charlie.

6 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Lubricant must be only soap, fairy liquid etc, or your tyre will be kaput anyway.

John.

Cannot do the ‘thumbs up’ due to John being a (head) mod but, this is absolutely the way to go, whatever else you try put loads of liquid washing up liquid top and bottom then do what you have to do wriggling on both sides.... It went in therefore it really should also come out

Bill

Very often the boot floor sags/bellies a bit, this was the case with my TR3. As such you maybe able to carefully jack up the boot floor with a scissors jack from within the tyre well. It worked for me and enables me to fit a 165 tyre & wheel albeit a deflated one - I carry a compressor as well. It may just give enough additional clearance. I use a leather strap then to pull the wheel out. Still tight though!

Good luck

Rob

Bill

Can you get hold of a freezing kit or aerosol of the type plumbers use for isolating pipes for maintenance without draining a system.

Give to tyre a good blast and drop the temp and pressure and you may even get some ice around the tread to act as a lubricant. Then give it a tug using your preferred method.

Regards

Rog

When you eventually get it out,  loop a short length of rope through the wheel then you have something to pull it out by in future 

Here's a   Volvo   135x90x15 space saver spare in the TR spare wheel hole.

You can get your hand in the gap above the tyre.

This is it I think   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184061643808

Cheers

Peter W

Space Saver.jpg

I had a similar problem with the wheel put in the wrong way up.

I managed to get a sheet of thin tough plastic between the tyre and the top and bottom of the spare wheel well. I used a couple of kiddies place mats which, with some lubricant, reduced the friction enough to be able to remove the wheel enough to get a rope behind the wheel with the aid of an electricians access kit. Thankfully there was enough space for the rope behind the wheel. Tied the rope to a post and got the co driver to slowly drive away. Once it was part way out I could work it up and down so that there was a levering effect . Much grating noise but it came out. With luck you might get it far enough out to get to the valve

Phil

Good news chaps, the tyre is out.....thanks for all the advice.....I used a combination of washing up liquid and a softwood lever which just started to move it enough to work it side to side and it gradually came out. I've now used a scissors jack with wooden spreaders to raise the boot floor slightly and the deflated 165 now goes in and out , and yes, I did put a pulling loop round the spokes first,  just in case!  Bill P.

I have a 145/15 spare in my TR2s. The TR2 had an even narrower opening than the later TR3A. In 43 years and I don't know how many miles I've used the spare maybe twice and not in the last 25 years.
I have Moss supplied 60 spoke wires. They are tubeless and have been great for 5 years use.