I know - tyres again !

Interested to get views on popular tyre for road and track - Not interested in long life or cheapest !

5.5J wires -  so 165 x15 or 185 x15 ?   

Michelin XAS     Avon ZZ     Vredestein  I know is liked for road use.  

Head below parapet !

Thanks Mike

I know - tyres again !

Interested to get views on popular tyre for road and track - Not interested in long life or cheapest !

Head below parapet !

Thanks Mike

I had Avon ZZ on my TR4 for years. They don't last the longest, but I loved them.

Neil Revington was waxing lyrical about Maxsport when he did the Targa Tasmania this year, couldn't believe how good they were in the wet. Which ones? you would need to ask him.

I use Vreds!

Iain

I have used the maxsport in sprints etc and work well by are very low profile so will affect your gearing. 

I did one wet  shelsely Walsh and the maxsport were ok. But I was tentative on them. 

They come in different compounds and full dry to full wet and gravel. 

As you noticed I use Vredestein sprint classic on the road. 

This video at a very wet castle Combe is on the sprint classics and they were brand new !! And inspired confidence. But then I don’t have much power.

in the dry they grip well but that contributed to tyre lean/roll. 

but I’m probably over tyre’d as I have 185 width. So no drifting for me. 

EDB767F6-FE8C-474F-BE50-3B67B7461B33.jpeg

3 hours ago, mikegush said:

I know - tyres again !

Head below parapet !

Thanks Mike

If durability or cost not a problem, then a more 'racing' tyre should be considered.   Not that Yokohama A048s are expensive.   Available in suitable sizes, AND in 'Medium', 'Soft' and 'SuperSoft' treads, they provide superb grip, even in the Medium I race on.    One set lasts a season of about six, 40 non races.

John

Quite normal for almost all tyres Johannes whether racing or road, you can see quite clearly where the "tread blocks" have been deformed smearing the compound across the surface. If they were "buffed" tyres with only a couple of mm left on the tread or slicks the tyre surface wouldn't have leaned and the compound would not have anywhere to adhere too and would have peeled off forming rubber "marbles" which you normally find on the outside of corners.

Mick Richards

I thought so, Mick - although I was wondering if there are differences between the tyres/ makes. And we all were surprised, that one could get this "result" even with an (almost) standard TR3 or TR6 just by driving to ist limit on a track with long & fast curves.

This Picture Shows a reaer tyre - the front ones are less "smeared" -  see picture

Ok... but that was happening at (only?) an average speed of 90...100km/h - depending on the car (The PI did have more power and wider tyres, giving more cornering Speed)

...but it was an interesting expirience although seeing the same curve more than 40times gets boring somehow.

Regards, Johannes

IMG_2176.JPG

As distinguished a person as Albert Einstein said that "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results."

You don't see the same corner over and over again, you try different solutions to the problem of getting round it.    

Another distinguished person said "Do, or do not, there is no try", but they were wrong.  Only the supremely gifted and practiced can approach a new corner and get it right.    There is enormous satisfaction in trying speed, gear, position and control until they just right, so that you exit the corner that little bit faster.     This is an exercise that can only be done on the track. 

Otherwise, 'driving'   is just sightseeing.

JOhn

Mike,

Naughty!   You posted the same Original Post in THREE different forums!    Motorsport, 3a and 4!   Got me really confused, as the board told me there was a reply, when there wasn't - on the forum I looked at!    It was on another.   Please don't do it!    Put a link on another forum, to take anyone interested to the original one, thus: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/71201-track-day-tyres/&tab=comments#comment-648481

Thank you!

John

18 hours ago, mikegush said:

Thanks 4Mal.  I'm sure they are a good track tyre but £250 each ...?  !

They've gone up then.....

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

.Your money, your choice.

Yoko A048s £90 each

What size for the 3a and where from John. 

Can you post a link. 

:D