New Chassi Birdge; Right or wrong?

14 hours ago, TR NIALL said:

This time last year there were serious issues with the quality of TR6 Chassis Bridges if I was replacing one I’d do some serious Homework about quality issues.

Below are Pics before the Body ever went onto the Chassis that New Bridge had to be Cut Off altogether Scraped and replaced with one bought from Colin at CTM.

3EFA731A-25C2-4CCF-9315-C91C291F6E04.jpeg

D4D767AD-7807-4933-AAD2-C32466EA05C2.jpeg

Thanks all for the feedback.

The bridge as is seam welded both sides of the uprights, pins boxed in and would be a real pain to remove so its staying put. The gauge is thinner so given the issues in the pics I'll beef up the spring seats as Roger suggests and triangulate them as well.

Begs the question that when suppliers remanufacture safety critical parts that they should meet the OEM spec as a min standard and then QA what they receive before sale rather than as cheap as possible causing all involved in having a poor reputation and lots of extra work. Glad the body isn't yet in situ.

As to the CTM situation I'm seriously thinking of setting up a friend into making new TR chassis/sections. Currently he makes from scratch TVR replacement chassis and repair section which by comparison TR chassis are dare I say "simple". If CTM aren't around then it may make it a lot more viable.

Andy

Hi Andy,,

you mention QA - this is a mysterious concept alien to suppliers and their manufacturers.

As for safety critical - thinner materials may work but not necessarily with the OEM geometry.. 

Using the correct gauge would have very serious manufacturing implications. The presses require even for simple section are large.

Roger

6 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Andy,,

you mention QA - this is a mysterious concept alien to suppliers and their manufacturers.

As for safety critical - thinner materials may work but not necessarily with the OEM geometry.. 

Using the correct gauge would have very serious manufacturing implications. The presses require even for simple section are large.

Roger

Take your point Roger regarding the presses required to shape the original gauge so yes go for thinner materials but design in such a way to give the same strength in use. As it is it seems the bridge spring pans will need attention.

I bought it in good faith thinking these kind of issues would have been considered in retrospect I should have repaired what I had which is a situation I'm finding with a lot of repro parts from lots of suppliers which need adapting to fit as the holes are in the wrong place etc. I don't see the logic in it why not drill them correct in the first place!

Andy 

2 minutes ago, PodOne said:

. I don't see the logic in it why not drill them correct in the first place!

Andy 

Ha ha ha,   absolutely. if you are going to all that trouble to drill a hole why not put it in the right place.  

So frustrating.

Roger