New Chassi Birdge; Right or wrong?

Hi Folks 

I was ploughing through some photos of the car looking for something else when I noticed that the diff looks offset to the notch in front of the bridge in the attached photo. The bridge was bought from Rimmers and welded in place and the tub mounts well to it but I'm left thinking that either;

1) I've some how rebuilt the diff case and front hanger the wrong way around/upside down? The ali diff pan vent is on top but I'm struggling to find a pic of where the filler sits above or below the horizontal line in the cast has anyone pics of the diff fitted standing from the front and passenger/drivers side so I can see if the filler is on the correct side if that makes sense.

2) The new bridge is actually made wrong? If it is do I need to alter it?

As ever thanks in advance

Andy

DSC05077.thumb.JPG.3b53b6d3904caba902d23e6928f65b49.JPG

From the pics so far it looks like the notch has been manufactured in the wrong side. Rimmers must have had Stevie Wonder measuring this up, not a happy bunny. 

Hi Andy,

I just checked and on my car (probably with the original bridge) the notch is on the right hand side too (driver side for UK), just like Ed’s chassis.

Waldi

Thanks all for the input will get in contact with Rimmers and see what they have to say and report back.

Hi all

Update

Rimmers have checked their stock of two one is correct one is wrong and notified their supplier. So I have a the wrong one.

Initially the offered to replace the part free of charge, not much good given the amount of work involved so as suggested above I'll do a alteration in situ. As recompense Rimmers have sent me a nice Xmas voucher so I'm happy with the result.  

Andy 

8 hours ago, PodOne said:

Hi all

Update

Rimmers have checked their stock of two one is correct one is wrong and notified their supplier. So I have a the wrong one.

Initially the offered to replace the part free of charge, not much good given the amount of work involved so as suggested above I'll do a alteration in situ. As recompense Rimmers have sent me a nice Xmas voucher so I'm happy with the result.  

Andy 

This time last year there were serious issues with the quality of TR6 Chassis Bridges if I was replacing one I’d do some serious Homework about quality issues.

Below are Pics before the Body ever went onto the Chassis that New Bridge had to be Cut Off altogether Scraped and replaced with one bought from Colin at CTM.

3EFA731A-25C2-4CCF-9315-C91C291F6E04.jpeg

D4D767AD-7807-4933-AAD2-C32466EA05C2.jpeg

Edited by TR NIALL

Hi Andy,

Regarding Niall's photo of the crack.

This is of a bridge fitted last year and supplied by Rimmers.  It turned out that the steel is too thin.

if you are going to continue with your new bridge I would first ascertain its thickness and (as the body is off) possibly consider strengthening the areas where it could fail.

Roger

Hi Andy, others on the forum may have more details of where to strengthen the bridge but for starters the flat triangular steel plates shown below in red fix one of the weakest points, mine cracked upwards from where the top cross bridge meets the upright pillar. I welded 4 pieces like shown  over 15 years ago together with boxing in around underside of pin fixings and all has been well since.

Chris

392153051_MarksTR5035.jpg.9c90758093ea5f8ef27c8945896d1ade~3.jpg

I have been told that the light industrial complex in which Colin (CTM) had his business was sold off completely to a developer, so Colin shut his business and has moved to France.  One of his experienced men retired as he is 64, and a younger chap found employment elsewhere.  You'll notice that there is no longer a CTM advert in TR Action.

Like so many, I'm very sorry to see CTM disappear as 30 years ago Colin built for me a chassis which was a 100% accurate copy of the well-rotted chassis in 4VC.  In so doing, he was doing what the Competitions Department did on numerous occasions in 1962-1963 to replace the chassis damaged in the ever rougher rallies undertaken by the four Works' TR4s.  We know, for example, that 5VC, which in the hands of Thuner & Gretener undertook more Rallies than the others, had at least 7 new chassis in the two years!

Ian Cornish

Hi all - as CTM have stopped trading, is there anyone else in the UK making, or are able to make or are prepared to make new chassis for TRs?

I believe there is a company in the States doing them, but don't know much else - it may come down to someone biting the bullet and ordering a container full of them - anyone know how much they charge for a chassis and what it might cost to ship? How many chassis do you reckon you could get in a normal container?

I understood there was quite a long waiting list for CTM chassis - I wonder if all these orders have been completed ? I suspect a number of people are going to have some difficulty in the future restoring cars with knackered chassis - what a shame.

Cheers   Rich