Turn the engine by hand help!

I'm trying to turn the engine by hand to check/set tappets etc but is there any special trick. It's 1959 3A with electric fan. I've removed spark plugs but can't turn it by pulling on the fan belt and I can't get a socket in place on the nut; well I can but the ratchet or t-bar won't fit because of the cross member so I can't turn it. Think a large offset ring spanner may do the trick or perhaps try to get some mole grips on the socket but before I no doubt shred my fingers does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks Archie

Edited by AtLast

Archie - I'm sure you have removed the plugs - near impossible otherwise!

On my TR4, which has no mechanical fan and an electric fan in front of the radiator, I manage with a large adjustable spanner.  Very tedious, but possible.

If your electric fan is a sucker (behind radiator), then I imagine you have somewhat less space for a wrench or spanner.

Ian Cornish

Archie - similar to Mick's suggestion, if you have a bit of space in front of the car, remove the plugs, stick it in 3rd or 4th, and rock the car backwards and forwards - no need to jack up a wheel or chock it

Cheers  Rich

When Archie said:

“…just gotta take the dog out…”

I thought :

“What good will that do? Leave the dog attached to the crankshaft, and use the starting handle.”

Then I realized it was a different sort of dog.

Charlie