Hi guys

I'm about to fit the soft top (only 5 years after the rebuild was 'finished')...

I stumbled across the following detail for how the front edge flap is supposed to be arranged... but I wanted to check if this was accurate. 

It looks like the Tenax fitting is fitted to the top flap, then the lower flap has a hole punched in it so the lower flap can just be placed over the windscreen stud before the top flap Tenax is pressed onto the stud.  

Is that correct?

TIA

Capture.JPG.01299e53e5c5b3720739e2295d6d56e4.JPG

Hi Malcy,

Spot on.20247646_1365981610183408_7343823226412934084_o.thumb.jpg.acd283b92037bb1a0ad7b3c4c384c0e2.jpg

It does make it bulge a bit because of the foam inside and does not really stop the moisture at speed, still worth the work. Don't make the hole too big, just big enough to slip over the Tenax post.

There is at least one YouTube video where the installer cuts off that flap because he cant figure out what it is for. Your description and picture are correct no matter how odd it seems. I have a gasket punch set that had a punch just the right size for making those holes in the flap.

Stan

16 hours ago, bigmalcy said:

Hi guys

I'm about to fit the soft top (only 5 years after the rebuild was 'finished')...

I stumbled across the following detail for how the front edge flap is supposed to be arranged... but I wanted to check if this was accurate. 

It looks like the Tenax fitting is fitted to the top flap, then the lower flap has a hole punched in it so the lower flap can just be placed over the windscreen stud before the top flap Tenax is pressed onto the stud.  

Is that correct?

TIA

Capture.JPG.01299e53e5c5b3720739e2295d6d56e4.JPG

This pic help?

IMG_3926.thumb.JPG.08d059d2d1681c2e159b823a1fb43d1c.JPG

Cheers, Andrew

I bought my windscreen from a  Swiss TR3 which was written off in London. The owner had fitted an extra Tenax between each standard fitting and as long as they are all fully clipped shut the rain does not come in. I lift the button and then push on the Tenax head and then push the button down firmly. They need checking after a few miles.

Good luck, Richard & B.

Great - thanks for all the help fellas, and photos.  That helps a lot.

Note that the diagram I posted was from the very YouTube video that Stan refers to... the fella cut off the flap as he couldn't figure out what it was for!  Not sure if he ever realised his error.

Thanks again one and all!

Hi Malcolm,

Tip: Start from the middle and work out alternately keeping tension as you go. If you don't you may end up a  bit tight at the outer edges. Took me  4 days off and on to fit my NOS soft top.

Remember trial fit and mark three times before making holes, make them to pin mark first and enlarge either way as you look for final fit first. No second chances!!!!!!

I did the hood first to get the fit first and then the flap. Fit with hood warmed first not an issue for you I imagine, try it Scotland!!!!

Hows auzzie life working out for ya?

rgds 

Rod.

P5300095.JPG

Edited by Rodbr

Hi Rod... it's actually a little chilly here just now, particularly given it's just ticked over into summer... can't be much higher than 20 today ;) 

Things going along quite nicely... TR settling in well and continuing to be 'finished'.  Just got around to covering the MX5 seats which now don't stick out as much as they did before, and most importantly lower my butt closer to the deck than the originals... still not quite enough to stop my head sticking above the windscreen!  We had our Xmas catch up just recently, too, photos below...

20191201_121346.jpg

20191201_085906.jpg

IMG_3530.jpg