Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
John McCormack

REPLACING REAR SUSPENSION BUSHES

Recommended Posts

I am about to order a set of poly suspension bushes for the rear end. I will replace the rubber spring collars at the same time. 

It has new telescopic shocks on a chassis mounting bracket.

It has near new CV axles and modern hubs.

Is there anything else I must do while the suspension is apart?

Edited by John McCormack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi John,

I would recommend using poly spring collars in place of the rubber version.

Cheers

Graeme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And check the brackets holding the TA’s for fatigue cracks, they need to be thoroughly cleaned for that.

During disassembly note the shims on each bracket, and note the position of each bracket (notches). 

Waldi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Follow the warnings with CV shafts and don't let the SA hang down with the shock absorber removed, it can damage the CV joint. Best to remove the CV shaft first.

Also don't be too enthusiastic cleaning out the bush holes in the SA,  the poly bushes do not expand as much as the rubber ones and can end up a loose fit which defeats the object of fitting them.

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, graeme said:

Hi John,

I would recommend using poly spring collars in place of the rubber version.

Cheers

Graeme

Will do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ChrisR-4A said:

Follow the warnings with CV shafts and don't let the SA hang down with the shock absorber removed, it can damage the CV joint. Best to remove the CV shaft first.

Also don't be too enthusiastic cleaning out the bush holes in the SA,  the poly bushes do not expand as much as the rubber ones and can end up a loose fit which defeats the object of fitting them.

Chris

Good advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2019 at 6:03 AM, John McCormack said:

It has new telescopic shocks on a chassis mounting bracket.

Make sure that on full bump, the telescopic damper is NOT acting as the bump stop or you will break the trailing arm.

The T/A mounted bump stop is the one that does this job.

Jerry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By using this site, you agree to the following: Terms of Use.