Jump to content
Chris Seymour

Minor issues

Recommended Posts

So tinkering with the TR6 today and trying to familiarise myself with it. First problem, guess the indicators should be self cancelling. Mine don’t, well the left does sometimes, is this an easy fix? Second problem, the barrels pull out of the passenger door lock (that doesn’t lock) and the boot! Not sure what is supposed to hold them in? Again is this an easy fix, do I need a new lock set?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris, for the indicator, if the steering column and cam clip are in the correct orientation relative to the indicator switch it is likely that one of the plastic legs of the switch have either broken or worn out. You can pull off the escutcheon and get a good look at those parts.

Sounds like the door lock has broken something if the barrel is pulling out of the lock assembly.

Stan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

....and yes the spherical gear knob is the same style as early 60 s Minor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2019 at 6:41 PM, foster461 said:

Chris, for the indicator, if the steering column and cam clip are in the correct orientation relative to the indicator switch it is likely that one of the plastic legs of the switch have either broken or worn out. You can pull off the escutcheon and get a good look at those parts.

Sounds like the door lock has broken something if the barrel is pulling out of the lock assembly.

Stan

If these are OK you can try adjusting the indicator stalk. I found if I loosened the screws holding the stalk and slid the stalk right a bit (as the fixing holes have quite a bit of play) then the plastic ears are closer to the clip on the steering column and hence work properly for both directions.

Darren

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think I will get a new lock set, are the one from Rimmers ok? Will check out the indicators one weekend. Confusing though as an owners manual shows the indicators on the right hand side, but mine are on the left, is the book wrong or has mine been modified?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes they would have been on the right along with the overdrive lever (if fitted with one) and the lights stalk being on the left of the wheel.

If the lock barrel is coming out - the internal part with the sprung pieces that disappear when the key is inserted,  then there is normally a tiny grub screw that possibly broken or missing. 

Gareth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Chris,

Is your 6 an original UK car, or originally a USA motor ?

The front bumper looks USA spec to me.

Not sure if it is possible, when converted from LHD to RHD (if this is the case), that someone has rotated the column 360 degrees, so indicators and o/d are on the opposite side to a UK car, in the event this is feasible ? That said, your o/d stalk appears to be in the correct location, looking at your previous post.

 

Cheers.

Edited by TRTOM2498PI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

Yes they would have been on the right along with the overdrive lever (if fitted with one) and the lights stalk being on the left of the wheel.

If the lock barrel is coming out - the internal part with the sprung pieces that disappear when the key is inserted,  then there is normally a tiny grub screw that possibly broken or missing. 

Gareth

Interesting! it would seem that the indicator stalk and light atalk on my car has been reversed. Has this been done before by anybody, and could this be the reason the idicators won't self cancel!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TRTOM2498PI said:

Hi Chris,

Is your 6 an original UK car, or originally a USA motor ?

The front bumper looks USA spec to me.

Not sure if it is possible, when converted from LHD to RHD (if this is the case), that someone has rotated the column 360 degrees, so indicators and o/d are on the opposite side to a UK car, in the event this is feasible ? That said, your o/d stalk appears to be in the correct location, looking at your previous post.

 

Cheers.

Yes my TR6 is a UK CR but the previous owner wanted the square US style plate when he had the car restored. O/D is in the correct place and you push it down to engage. Thought I read somewhere that you push it up to engage?..........but not on mine! Is that correct? Is it also possible to interchange the indicator and lighting switch within the housing? Most confusing and all adds to the fun I guess?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you sure its not a US spec car which has been converted to RHD? That would leave the indicators and overdrive on the left side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris Seymour said:

Interesting! it would seem that the indicator stalk and light atalk on my car has been reversed. Has this been done before by anybody, and could this be the reason the idicators won't self cancel!

I think the lhd cars had it that way, so maybe they can be fitted to either side or the steering cowl is a US spec one, I guess taking it apart will tell, the builder may have put it back together and switched them by mistake, who knows as you say it might sort your cancellation problem, though I fitted a special LED so I can see it clearly when it doesn't cancel. 

Gareth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edit: reply deleted - didn't read the question correctly.............:rolleyes:

Cheers, Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

W/R/T the indicators, after a total restoration my '250 didn't cancel on one side and ultimately I discovered the cam wasn't centered, so I withdrew the steering column shaft from the lower U-joint spline and re-inserted it to get the cam in the middle. I note that the exposed tie rods threads are numerous on one side and next to none on the other so another fix would have been to equalize them instead, turning equal amounts so as not to disturb the alignment. Either way the steering wheel has to be removed and replaced for centering.

 

Cheers,

Tom 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DRD said:

Are you sure its not a US spec car which has been converted to RHD? That would leave the indicators and overdrive on the left side.

Positive it is a UK CR registered in 1974! My overdrive is on the right hand side!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

I think the lhd cars had it that way, so maybe they can be fitted to either side or the steering cowl is a US spec one, I guess taking it apart will tell, the builder may have put it back together and switched them by mistake, who knows as you say it might sort your cancellation problem, though I fitted a special LED so I can see it clearly when it doesn't cancel. 

Gareth

The builder had two TR6’s sitting in his premises and he chose my one to restore. Maybe the other one was an import and he robbed parts from that? I have their details so might pick his brains! He has a Stag that he restored for himself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'V' nice Chris.....there are surprisingly many of us that have either classic or modern bikes tucked away next to our TRs, so you're in good company on both fronts - have a look through this thread: 

 

Cheers, Andrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2019 at 1:56 PM, Chris Seymour said:

Interesting! it would seem that the indicator stalk and light atalk on my car has been reversed. Has this been done before by anybody, and could this be the reason the idicators won't self cancel!

I modified my 4A to position the indicators on the left. I then fitted a LHD lighting switch in the position previously occupied by the indicator switch. You can use the RHD switch but it will be upside down. On a 4 that doesn’t matter as the lighting switch is on the switch plinth. The overdrive switch remains where it was, on the right and down to operate. 

You need to split the steering column to position the self cancelling clip central to the spring ears on the indicator switch with the front wheels straight ahead. 

If you look carefully at the way it works it’s very simple. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By using this site, you agree to the following: Terms of Use.