TR5 choke cable

Why are replacement choke cables so expensive? I think I need a new one as the cable to the MU is not operating and has come adrift from the cockpit knob. Before I take it apart to see if I can fix it, I thought get a new one, in case that is the easy answer. Rimmers £102, Moss £86 but out of stock and Robsport £90.

Anyone know if there are any cheaper options out there or do I just have to bite the bullet and pay up?

Mike

Hi Mike,

I would suggest taking it a part. It may be simple to fix, but without looking whi will know.

The 4/4A choke cable is a single and apprx £60. With a bit of determination they are re-buildable.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

....I have been told by PI people (TR5/6 owners and repairers who have run and used these cars for many moons) that you are better off to disconnect the choke cable wire that goes to the throttle advance and only ever connect the over-fuel lever on the metering unit.  If this is true, why waste money on a twin wired cable....or is it originality you seek?

Peter W

That's what I've done (not too bothered about fine detail originality). I did subsequently fit a separate 'choke' cable to the fast idle - mounted below the dash - for a tenner or so. I did that simply to enable more accurate setting & running at cold start. All seems good (famous last words :o). 

Thanks guys.

I have taken the old twin cable off (boy it was fiddly to remove) and the cable to the Metering Unit had snapped at the knob end. I was ahead of everyone’s comments on the cost saving, by using a single cable arrangement to the MU. Thanks for the idea of fitting a stand alone cable for fast idle. Not anal enough to want originality (well not at £100), although I do try to keep as much as possible along standard lines. Whatever I do, I am not looking forward to the job of reattaching cables and feeding through the bulk head. All part of the fun of our cars.

Mike

28 minutes ago, Aldpilot said:

Thanks guys.

I have taken the old twin cable off (boy it was fiddly to remove) and the cable to the Metering Unit had snapped at the knob end. I was ahead of everyone’s comments on the cost saving, by using a single cable arrangement to the MU. Thanks for the idea of fitting a stand alone cable for fast idle. Not anal enough to want originality (well not at £100), although I do try to keep as much as possible along standard lines. Whatever I do, I am not looking forward to the job of reattaching cables and feeding through the bulk head. All part of the fun of our cars.

Mike

Bit of an oxymoron that........but have you tried fitting the fast idle cable to the MU, it may have saved you removing it all and would be buckshee fix.

Cheers, Andrew

M2P : I've repaired several PI cables by drilling the two points where the cables are crimped in the sort of steel tube (sorry for my poor Engish, I'm not UK native !) and tin weld another pair of cables bought from a moped or bicycle store.

Rather easy, but take care to not extra heat the cable, or it will become to rigid, and might broke rapidly.

Hi folks. I bit the bullet and ended up paying £91.80 for a twin cable. It is now fitted and working. Did it last week before the really cold weather hit. Chris, thanks for the info and perhaps I will have a go at repairing the old set up. I will wait until warmer weather though. Apparently a Humber Sceptre has a twin choke cable too, but I didn’t manage to find one of those. Another job done. Thanks for all your comments/ideas.

Mike