EFI First Drive

3 hours ago, stuart said:

Big rubber hammer will give you all the clearance you need ;)

Stuart.

Unfortunately it would take a bit more than that, it can probably be made to fit but it no doubt won’t be cheap. The backplate is fine, it’s the the curved section, you can’t see it easily from the photo above but it is tapered towards the rear, if the profile was the same width front to rear then I think it would fit, it would mean the flexible hose stub being moved inboard and would significantly reduce the volume of the assembly, I don’t know if that would make any real difference or not.

On 11/25/2019 at 1:49 PM, marki said:

Hi All.

Regard catch tank, I've had the breather moved to the other side of the rocker cover another off the fuel pump blank and a small tank on the passenger footwell. 

IMG_1273.JPG

Hi. Can you tell me what electronic ignition system you are using and is getting rid of the distributor an easy job?

31 minutes ago, InfinityJon said:

Hi. Can you tell me what electronic ignition system you are using and is getting rid of the distributor an easy job?

I’m using the Emerald K6 ECU, this has its own internal ignition drivers so doesn’t require any external form of ignition control.

35 minutes ago, harrytr5 said:

Speak to Dan, he has a plan.

Regards Harry.

I have Harry, I need to measure up, I’m still working though so haven’t got round to it. Dan will be at Bicester so we can discuss what’s needed there.

On 12/24/2019 at 9:29 AM, harrytr5 said:

Speak to Dan, he has a plan.

Regards Harry.

On 12/24/2019 at 10:05 AM, iani said:

I have Harry, I need to measure up, I’m still working though so haven’t got round to it. Dan will be at Bicester so we can discuss what’s needed there.

Harry/Ian,

I'm interested in the air box arrangement. I will be fitting triple Weber 45DCOEs to my TR5 which I'm currently restoring and had been considering an air box myself. 

I know you're both using EFi set ups but are the main air box back plate fixings to the "lookalike" EFi throttle bodies identical to the Weber carb bodies where the trumpets fit?

Who manufactures these air boxes and are they readily available or made to order? I had thought I would have to have something made bespoke. How does the curved outer cover fix to the vertical back plate at the bottom? It's a bit tight for room under there. Are the fixings similar to what looks like self tapping screws on the top? If they are, that looks as if they could be awkward to fit.

I have the original short indent wing which you say is a problem Ian. Is the problem that the connection for the flexible hose conflicts with the short wing indent? I have seen a Revington air box in the past which I think had the hose connection angled from the front end, presumably for exactly that reason. Alternatively, with my bodyshell at the just back from blast cleaning stage, I could consider having the inner wheel arch short indent/recess cut and reshaped to the long indent recess configuration, along with all the other weld repairs. 

Interested in anything else that you can add please. If it's easier to discuss by phone, drop me a PM with your telephone number please and I'll ring either one or both of you.

Dave McD

1 hour ago, Dave McDonald said:

Harry/Ian,

I'm interested in the air box arrangement. I will be fitting triple Weber 45DCOEs to my TR5 which I'm currently restoring and had been considering an air box myself. 

I know you're both using EFi set ups but are the main air box back plate fixings to the "lookalike" EFi throttle bodies identical to the Weber carb bodies where the trumpets fit?

Who manufactures these air boxes and are they readily available or made to order? I had thought I would have to have something made bespoke. How does the curved outer cover fix to the vertical back plate at the bottom? It's a bit tight for room under there. Are the fixings similar to what looks like self tapping screws on the top? If they are, that looks as if they could be awkward to fit.

I have the original short indent wing which you say is a problem Ian. Is the problem that the connection for the flexible hose conflicts with the short wing indent? I have seen a Revington air box in the past which I think had the hose connection angled from the front end, presumably for exactly that reason. Alternatively, with my bodyshell at the just back from blast cleaning stage, I could consider having the inner wheel arch short indent/recess cut and reshaped to the long indent recess configuration, along with all the other weld repairs. 

Interested in anything else that you can add please. If it's easier to discuss by phone, drop me a PM with your telephone number please and I'll ring either one or both of you.

Dave McD

PM sent

47 minutes ago, TRTOM2498PI said:

Hi Dave,

Compliments of the season.

Have a look at the below link:-

https://www.reverie.ltd.uk/hockenheim-6cl.php 

Cheers.

Almost £800 for this and you have to trim it to fit yourself, way too expensive for what it is.

Why not give it a go and make your own?

I would use 1 - 1.5 mm aluminium sheet, easy to bend, cut.

Pop-rivet or have it tig-welded, the welding would be like a 2hr job, so not that expensive.

Waldi

44 minutes ago, Waldi said:

Why not give it a go and make your own?

I would use 1 - 1.5 mm aluminium sheet, easy to bend, cut.

Pop-rivet or have it tig-welded, the welding would be like a 2hr job, so not that expensive.

Waldi

I have one now Waldi, the problem is it's for a later car with the full cutout inner wing. The chap who made it is going to make me a replacement section that is narrower and will work with my smaller gap, I'm meeting him on Sunday to measure up.

Ian

Hi Ian, 

yes, I now see;)

maybe it could be modified a bit. The original plenum looks a bit narrow to me, so if you can achieve a slightly higher crossectional area that would be nice.

Also you could consider to “sandwich” some heat shielding on the bottom part to reduce heat input from the exhaust.

A .5 mm aluminium sheet with some 2-4 mm fibrous material in-between would already help.

Regards,

Waldi

1 hour ago, Waldi said:

Hi Ian, 

yes, I now see;)

maybe it could be modified a bit. The original plenum looks a bit narrow to me, so if you can achieve a slightly higher crossectional area that would be nice.

Also you could consider to “sandwich” some heat shielding on the bottom part to reduce heat input from the exhaust.

A .5 mm aluminium sheet with some 2-4 mm fibrous material in-between would already help.

Regards,

Waldi

I have made a heat shield Waldi, it's changed a bit since the photo as I have a thin rail along the top of the slots, once some longer Throttle body - inlet manifold bolts arrive I will fit the shield to them and secure with nuts, the underside of the shield has an adhesive heatproof material applied. Currently my injection loom is held towards the inner wing by cable ties, since I wrapped the exhaust manifold the temp has reduced considerably in any case.

shield.jpg

Agree with Waldo, DiY, or MYO!    And to go completely TLA (Three Letter Acronym), using CAD will make it easier.

That's Cardboard Aided Design!   Make a prototype in card, cut and fit it, then use the unfolded card to provide a pattern, to cut out of alloy sheet.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my new airbox today, this one fits with the early car inner wing, I'm changing the trumpets to 15mm ones however as the airflow will be seriously disrupted.

five.jpg

four.jpg

one.jpg

three.jpg

two.jpg

Edited by iani

Looking at this company https://www.reverie.ltd.uk/hockenheim-6cl.php That air box looks more constrictive than Dan's MK11 for short indent wheel arches. The inlet tube looks too small

Judging by the photos and the first trumpet impedes the air in somewhat. Could be wrong but a rolling road test report will tell the difference.

I know the one Dan did for this TR6 EFI made 205 BHP so it breathed well.

20190429_204110_resized.jpg

45 minutes ago, harrytr5 said:

Looking at this company https://www.reverie.ltd.uk/hockenheim-6cl.php That air box looks more constrictive than Dan's MK11 for short indent wheel arches. The inlet tube looks too small

Judging by the photos and the first trumpet impedes the air in somewhat. Could be wrong but a rolling road test report will tell the difference.

I know the one Dan did for this TR6 EFI made 205 BHP so it breathed well.

20190429_204110_resized.jpg

The inlet that Dan has made on mine is the same size, it's just an oval shape as there isn't clearance for the round version against the inner wing. My 15mm trumpets arrived this morning, the one in the pic is 40mm so the blockage will largely be removed.

Edited by iani