EFI First Drive

My car is now briefly back on the road, I took it for its first 20 mile run today and thus far I'm impressed. As it's a freshly rebuilt engine I am keeping the revs down but they certainly build up very quickly, the throttle response is great and I look forward to getting it set up on Emerald's rolling road next month (not full power due to the limited miles on the engine). 

RHEng.jpg

Edited by iani
1 hour ago, ntc said:

Well done just a few pointers,get rid of the breather also the sock filters one backfire and you will find out and last let the rr guys give it full power it will bed it in. 

The breather is temporary, I have a catch can that will fit on the redundant fuel pump studs, I just need to sort a hose out for it. What would you suggest for a filter? there isn't much room in there, particularly on the front TB.

Ian

19 hours ago, iani said:

My car is now briefly back on the road, I took it for its first 20 mile run today and thus far I'm impressed. As it's a freshly rebuilt engine I am keeping the revs down but they certainly build up very quickly, the throttle response is great and I look forward to getting it set up on Emerald's rolling road next month (not full power due to the limited miles on the engine). 

RHEng.jpg

20190301_115238.jpg

Well done Ian,

Would get the 1000 miles under your belt and let Emeralds loose. Dave or John know our cars very well and have a great understanding of them. You will come away with a huge grin when they release the horse power (and torque more importantly). As you know we made up an airbox from scratch and used the original air filter with K&N in the housing but cut a square out to get more air in. It made 205 BHP but was a trick engine built by a racer.

Emeralds will look after you as they are a great company and know what they are doing.

Maybe see you in Bicester scramble January 5th 2020 as a few of us are going to it subject to weather of course. Tickets in advance only.

Regards Harry

20190429_204110_resized.jpg

46 minutes ago, harrytr5 said:

Well done Ian,

Would get the 1000 miles under your belt and let Emeralds loose. Dave or John know our cars very well and have a great understanding of them. You will come away with a huge grin when they release the horse power (and torque more importantly). As you know we made up an airbox from scratch and used the original air filter with K&N in the housing but cut a square out to get more air in. It made 205 BHP but was a trick engine built by a racer.

Emeralds will look after you as they are a great company and know what they are doing.

Maybe see you in Bicester scramble January 5th 2020 as a few of us are going to it subject to weather of course. Tickets in advance only.

Regards Harry

Thanks Harry, I spoke with John regarding the engine being rebuilt and he told me they could do a lot without doing any full power work, I'll see how it goes over the next few weeks, if I find the car usable as is I might defer the booking until next year. I have a ticket for Bicester, hopefully see you there.

Ian

Hi Harry.

Sorry to hi jack this thread, have you any more pics of the inlet plenum you built. As I'm looking into it myself.

Ian, as everyone has already told you you'll love it. Mine made an extra 20hp from the Lucas system. 

Cheers Mark.

3 minutes ago, harrytr5 said:

Hi Mark,

Send me a PM with your email address and I will send some photos. My mate, who made the airbox still has the pattern and may make you one although I have not asked him yet.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

sent, thank.

11 minutes ago, TRTOM2498PI said:

Hi Harry,

Must go well with that power ?

What was done with regards to the breather system that usually exits the rocker cover ?

Cheers.

Currently just venting to atmosphere via a filter, I have a catch can that I will be mounting on the block fuel pump studs, I just need to get a braided hose made up.

Hi Ian,

OK, noted.

On my EFI set-up, we had a bespoke catch tank designed, to fit in the bulk-head area next to the clutch master cylinder, that 'picks up' the pedal box area, and has a tab coming off the catch tank that locates on the clutch master cyl bracket, and a tiny tab that uses one self tapping screw, where a small hole is required in the o/s inner wing. We sited the tank here, as it is the most obvious place from the routing of the original set-up off the rocker cover outlet. Black silicon hose comes off the screw cap feed, with two p-clips that attach to two wing outer wing bolts, and runs over the o/s wheel arch seam, and enters the o/s chassis leg, which acts as a self-lubricating chassis arrangement. You can drain the catch tank with a bolt than can be removed to periodically drain the residue. No issues with bonnet clearance either, etc.

Cheers.

Marki,

May I suggest?    Move the catch tank higher, so that any oil vapour condenses in the hose and runs back into the sump,    water vapour condenses at a lower temp and will escape from the tank.  Result, you never have to empty that horrible mucky mayonnaise out of the tank!

John

I've used the heritage throttle bodies and Emerald ECU on my TR3a, a really great conversion. There are some details of it in the TR 2/3/3a section, TR Performance Engine thread. As said the guys at Emerald are excellent. The time on the rolling road was quite an experience, noise, heat and fingers crossed for the engine. Before adding efi the engine gave 117.5 bhp which increased to 137.5 bhp after the conversion.

Tim

Good ideas on the catch tank location thanks, I'll give it some more thought.

Ian

Looking good Ian. Glad you’re up and running, I’m far from it still

as stated you definitely need an air box, could you not then plumb the engine breather into that?

if anyone out there is making these air boxes from the original, I’d be interested. 

lee

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2019 at 10:52 AM, harrytr5 said:

20190429_204110_resized.jpg

Thanks to Harry I collected one of these custom housings today, very well made and the holes lined up with my Throttle Body holes perfectly. I had made one mistake however, this picture clearly shows a later inner wing, my car is an early one, the housing is simply too large at the leading edge. If anyone is looking for a filter solution for Jenvey Heritage throttle bodies, please give me a shout.

On 12/14/2019 at 3:26 PM, iani said:

Thanks to Harry I collected one of these custom housings today, very well made and the holes lined up with my Throttle Body holes perfectly. I had made one mistake however, this picture clearly shows a later inner wing, my car is an early one, the housing is simply too large at the leading edge. If anyone is looking for a filter solution for Jenvey Heritage throttle bodies, please give me a shout.

Big rubber hammer will give you all the clearance you need ;)

Stuart.