Quick release battery terminal connectors

Because of the irregular use the 3A gets during the year, it spends a lot of time on the conditioner. This involves quite a lot of unbolting and bolting up the traditional connectors, particularly when tinkering.

Recently spotted a pair of new quick release connectors on an old car. Seem like a sensible product but odd that I haven't seen them before.

Thoughts chaps please before I plunge in.

Miles

I use quick release battery connectors on my caravan for battery isolation purposes, they work well and help prevent "leakage" of the charge especially with caravans which often have relays and other "leaching" ancillaries. Because they are bolt on items I see no problem using on a classic, they can be replaced with originals in 15 minutes if required. Do you have a sort in mind ?

Mick Richards

I have a cigar-lighter socket connected direct to the battery via a fuse. Not only can I power equipment from it in the usual way, but it also enables me to plug in a charger without the need to disconnect anything. 

Edited by RobH

Brilliant.

Mick

This is the sort of thing https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E9591F6/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01E9591F6&pd_rd_w=jBhH2&pf_rd_p=1055d8b2-c10c-4d7d-b50d-96300553e15d&pd_rd_wg=5ardw&pf_rd_r=9FVE3G511FKRG837D09V&pd_rd_r=17276b09-979d-4599-bf8c-d888e7888bd2&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFTM1daOVZTQTBOWU8mZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAzNjIyMzIxSlNLUUs3TUw5VUVYJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAxNjg3ODAzOUUzMEs1VkcyUVhHJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Rob and Bob

Doh! I use that set up t with the fancy CTek conditioner on my aged Boxster. Had a separate 12V socket plumbed into the 'frunck' as the one in the dash is one way or live when the keys are in the ignition. The CTek has a connector for either crocodile clips or socket plug and I use the latter.

My cheaper conditioner that I use with the TR only has crocodile clips but nothing to stop me putting in a connector and buying a socket plug so I can create the same arrangement as the CTek. The TR already has an isolator switch so no danger of leakage. Presumably any decent location will do for the earth wire from the new socket. What rating fuse did you use Rob?

Miles

The  fuse I used is related to the kit I power from the socket rather than for the charger Miles. Its 10A which is for the largest load - an electric scissors jack. My conditioner is a cheapo Lidl one but it did come with a cigar plug as well as croc clips.. 

Edited by RobH

Miles,

That's the quick connectors I use on the caravan, 5 years multiple quick release on/off use ...no problems - good to go.

Mick Richards

Can I just add, nothing against these disconnect type things, sure they work really well,

problem is they are no use if you have an electrical issue whilst in the car.

A cut off mounted inside, does all of the above, AND, lets you kill the power even before you've stopped moving if an issue starts,

I'm thinking of smoke filling the cockpit etc., where are you if you are in a sidescreen car with such an issue? you've to stop, find the carriage key get out fiddle with the bonnet and then kill the power - no brainer for me.

John.

I agree John, I have a cut off switch in the cockpit and my CTEK charger has a socket hard wired to the battery so that I can just plug it straight in.

So this thread proves my theory that every TR job involves at least 2 others.

John, the detachable connectors were thought of as an aid to repeated removal of clamps for battery charging rather than power isolation in an emergency. I do have a detachable key isolator switch of the type Peter has identified, but that is mounted in the engine bay. The key goes with me every time the car is left.

The space in the cockpit on the back of the master cylinder box is taken up with the electric fuel pump inertia switch I have installed there on the basis that in the event of an accidental activation, potential danger can be averted by quickly re-engaging the switch which would not be possible if mounted in the engine bay. 

Still, I can see there might be merit in also moving the isolator switch to a hidden location in the cabin too. 

And the third job...?

Miles

22 hours ago, Ben Freer said:

I agree John, I have a cut off switch in the cockpit and my CTEK charger has a socket hard wired to the battery so that I can just plug it straight in.

+1

No need to lift the bonnet, plug the Lidl charger straight in. Cut off ensures everything is disconnected

Phil

On 11/24/2019 at 4:47 PM, MilesA said:

So this thread proves my theory that every TR job involves at least 2 others.

John, the detachable connectors were thought of as an aid to repeated removal of clamps for battery charging rather than power isolation in an emergency. I do have a detachable key isolator switch of the type Peter has identified, but that is mounted in the engine bay. The key goes with me every time the car is left.

The space in the cockpit on the back of the master cylinder box is taken up with the electric fuel pump inertia switch I have installed there on the basis that in the event of an accidental activation, potential danger can be averted by quickly re-engaging the switch which would not be possible if mounted in the engine bay. 

Still, I can see there might be merit in also moving the isolator switch to a hidden location in the cabin too. 

And the third job...?

Miles

This is a well engineered solution.Easily accessible for those emergencies. Also disables the car when parked up.

https://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr8319k/name/kit-cut-out-under-dash-tr2-4a.

Iain

(No association just a satisfied customer)

2 hours ago, iain said:

This is a well engineered solution.Easily accessible for those emergencies. Also disables the car when parked up.

https://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr8319k/name/kit-cut-out-under-dash-tr2-4a.

Iain

(No association just a satisfied customer)

How much!!!!:o

Stuart.

Ive had one of these for over 10 years, £12.99 at Halfrauds but probably cheaper elsewhere and can be fitted on LH bulkhead so key is in passenger footwell.

Chris

249834.jpeg

Hi Chris,

did you have the thick wires go through the bulk head or leave these cables in the engine compartment?

Thanks,

Waldi