TR4 Dashboard

Gentlemen,

I am restoring an early TR4 and I am currently working on the dashboard. A previous owner had fitted a wooden fascia and has drilled holes in  the dashboard  for the fixing screws, In addition there are several other small holes  which shouldn't be there, original purpose(s) unknown.

My initial thoughts were to silver braze small plates at the back of the holes and then skim the front with filler. However, one of the holes has another part of the dash behind it so there is no direct access to braze.

My second thought is to put fiber glass patches at the back of the holes and then skim the front and also fill from the front the hole that does not have direct access to it.

Has anyone else had this problem and how was it resolved.

Thanks in advance

Graham

Hi Graham,

before you fill the holes consider how, and what with, you are going to paint the dash.

If you are using cellulose or 2K then you can fill with whatever you fancy.

However if you are considering powder coating then the high temp may affect your filler.  It could possibly melt lead.

If you use braze or silver solder as the filler then you should be OK.

For the larger holes consider initially welding a steel plate in the hole then fill the joint with the above. It would then be easy t sand back to a 'perfect' finish.

Roger

Hi Roger,

The dash will be painted with an epoxy primer and then Spa White cellulose. I am moving towards fibre glass to back the holes then a cellulose filler skim on the face. I do not have welding facilities.

Graham

Edited by Grahamgl