Hi all 

Have fitted a immobiliser to my 4a and am considering fitting a tracker however not sure which to go for. Halfords do a Streetwize one reasonable priced just wondering if anyone's

fitted one or point me in the direction of a good make to fit

Chris

I have this tracker fitted to my Tr for the last 3 years. It is ridiculous the amount of things you can do with it but i keep it pretty simple. 

You buy a £0.01 giff gaff sim, put £10 on it and it lasts literally years. you call the sim number, it hangs up then sends you co-oerdinates which open in google maps.

there is no ongoing fee and as the call hangs up no call charges, only a text charge which is minute.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tracker-Vehicle-Theft-Protection-System-Model-TK103A/dp/B003XDN58K/ref=sr_1_20?crid=1C52DX84BIEO4&keywords=trackers+for+cars&qid=1574278583&smid=A6XTJBWT1CYXB&sprefix=tracker%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-20

cheers,

Allan

Hello All,

I’ve been looking into this recently and find it all a bit confusing.
It’s the “No subscription” bit that I don’t fully get.
You don’t have to pay a subscription to the maker of the hardware, but you may have to pay monthly for “Pay as you go” to the network provider.

I’ve checked with a few of the “Pay as you go” providers, and they all seem to say that you can buy a “Pack” (Or some other name) for from £5.00 upwards, depending on what amount of use you will give it, BUT, in every case they seem to only last a month. Some say that they will roll any unused time over to the next month, but that will only happen if you buy another “Pack” the next month.

If you are only going to get an occasional text from the device so that you can get location data, you would only hope to be paying a few quid a year, not £5 x 12.

It’s mentioned in reviews, but some people refute it and say you only need to top up with, lets say, £5 and it will last forever, so long as you use the number once or twice every 6 months, (A few pence.)

I do wonder if it is something to do with how long ago people bought their Pay as You Go sim.  I have a Virgin Mobile Pay As You Go sim in my mobile that I fitted about 12 years ago and as long as I’m in credit I can use it without having to top it up every month.

As Allan says, he bought his sim card three years ago. Has anyone done this recently and if so how?

(I've seen the £0.01 sim cards on the giff-gaff site, but you still seem to have to buy a "Pack"  every month.)

Charlie.

Hi Chris

I looked into this extensively last year and in the end went for a Viper mysmartstart tracker and alarm system. Basically I can see where the car is, set the speed limit, set entry and exit boundaries, before I receive a notification and also have an adjustable sensitivity internal alarm. Use this to stop someone putting their hands inside the car when the top is off to nick a dash board switch or gear knob.

Also have both doors, bonnet and boot alarmed when opened and a jacking tilt alarm fitted in case someone just tries to tow her away. It also sends me notifications when the battery is running low.

Great bit of kit, but you get what you pay for. My monthly cost re subscription amount to a couple of pints of beer.

Good luck with your research. ;)

Mike

Edited by MikeThomas

I’ve just found this site that answers some of my queries.

https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/best-payg-sim-for-low-usage

But…If you click on “Order giffgaff SIM card (Free)” you are sent to the giffgaff page where it still gives the impression that you need to buy a monthly bundle.

Also look at the comments section. Someone says :

“O2 appear to have withdrawn the Classic PAYG on 7 November 2019. Cheapest option now is for a £5 per month Big Bundle for unlimited calls and text. Minimum term of 2 months.”

Why is nothing ever as straight forward as you think…?

Charlie

It looks as though the phone companies have decided the old style pay-as-you-go, where the top-up has no time limit, doesn't make them enough money from people who seldom make calls.  The 'bundles' mean they get a minimum income from you every month because the allowance is lost if you haven't used it within that time. There don't seem to be any of the old style deals available now in the UK for new customers. 

Of course if you don't mind having to get a new phone number you could transfer your present old-style PAYG sim to the tracker and go for a new one for your phone, where you might use the bundled allowance.

Just an update on the O2 “Classic PAYG” that stopped in November.

I read that there are still O2 “Classic PAYG” SIMS at dealers. They “Claim” that O2 will honor anyone who has one of these SIMS and still let them use the pricing that does not require the monthly top up. (If true for how long I wonder…)

There are many people (with pretty good feedback) selling these SIMS on eBay,

90 pence each inc. postage. So I ordered a couple.
The invoice included 70 pence discount on each one, so I only paid 20 pence for each one !!!

(Remember that postage alone is probably 90 pence.)

Sounds like a scam?
Quite possibly.
I would guess that the dealer gets a percentage of anything that you end up spending with O2.

How true is the “No monthly charge”?

We shall see.

Charlie.

3 mobile do a decent PAYG sim only. I have been  using one for a number of years and have been very happy with it. If you are going to use a lot of data/calls/text you can also get a  a temporary add on for a month.

https://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Pay_As_You_Go

Roger

Roger,

Are you using the 3 sim in a phone or in a tracker?

From what I have read recently most of the lower priced trackers will not work on the 3 network.

Apparently the trackers work on 2G and the 3 Network only operates on 3G and 4G.

Of course, I’m happy to be corrected if I’ve misunderstood things.

Charlie.