Daft question, probably

Hi All

Adding some of the finishing outer trim items and on to the chrome (alloy) lower side trims.

Now for my 72 car they should be part 623421 at 7/16ths wide, but also listed is 625212, but they are slightly wider at 5/8th, but they are a fair bit cheaper.

So given i won't see them till i order them is the width the only difference and is that slight diff even noticable on the car?

Cheers  Keith

1 hour ago, Keith66 said:

Hi All

Adding some of the finishing outer trim items and on to the chrome (alloy) lower side trims.

Now for my 72 car they should be part 623421 at 7/16ths wide, but also listed is 625212, but they are slightly wider at 5/8th, but they are a fair bit cheaper.

So given i won't see them till i order them is the width the only difference and is that slight diff even noticable on the car?

Cheers  Keith

Depends all on how original you want to keep your TR Keith - as your car is a 72 CP it should have the 7/16" sill trim, the later CR cars (from 73) had the wider 5/8" trim.

I know what I would do.

Edit: here's the profile comparison  - my old 73 CR is top and current 72 CP below, noting both cars should have matt black paint below the sill trim:

20160605_124232.thumb.jpg.c110dd3762ebe43ad2e53f69bb5259b9.jpg

DSC_0696a.thumb.jpg.f80cfcf9f0b5ebe39ebf4de3eacfd7bf.jpg

Cheers, Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Hasn't there been some concern about penetrating/drilling the paint to fix the clips that hold this trim on?

Regards

Bill 

Hi All

Thanks for the replies, esp Andrew, great to see the different strips side by side.

Surprisingly the difference is more noticeable than I expected so I’ll be fitting the age correct ones as I’m trying to keep things reasonably original, esp in terms of aesthetics.

Cheers

Keith

Good choice on painting the sills, I'm going to do that to mine. It seems the most cars I see don't have it done, but I don't get why as it's how it should have been...then again the PO (s) of my car didn't have the windscreen surround or back panel painted black either, now rectified!

Gareth

Edited by Mk2 Chopper
More detail

We used to sell plastic alternatives to the dish and pop rivet when I worked at C&B. These look like the style of the ones we sold.  Then you can drill a hole paint it and fit a non corroding bit of plastic.

Peter W

https://bresco.com/acatalog/Moulding-clip-for-14.7mm-moulding-gap-and-4.8mm-panel-hole.--Humber-Sceptre-Series-3.-BSF977P.html#SID=3

• 1 month later...

So raising this topic again. Has anyone tried gluing the chrome trims on? I ask as i said before modern adhesives are very strong and are used on all modern cars- i think Sikaflex do an adhesive which i have used on gaskets on old British motorbikes that would suit the purpose - its soft and pliable and once set is very firm with a tiny amount of flex in it depending on the thickness. Im going to try it as if it works it will certainly save drilling holes in the sills and using pop rivets.

Michael

Hi Michael,

during final prepping for painting the body shop noticed that the holes in the sills did not line up with the ones in the rear and front wings. They were around 5-10 mm off. They filled the holes with a special 2K glue (cement?), and proposed to glue the stainless strips on later, or if I wanted, drill holes and use the special rivets. Think I will go for gluing, to avoid drilling holes in my new painted sills. Have not asked what adhesive to use.

Waldi

I'm sure they can be glued, but this could cause a problem if you ever need to take the front or rear wings off in the future. I fitted mine with rivets and was glad I did, when my rear right wing needed to be removed a few months later for some re-shaping following a minor accident.