Jump to content
John McCormack

Cockpit cappings

Recommended Posts

I have been looking for original photos of the TR2 cockpit cappings to see whether the cappings behind the seats go inside or outside the interior trim pieces. Plenty of photos of the cockpit looking forward but not any I can find showing the rear cockpit capping pieces.

There are photos showing the shaped capping pieces behind the doors go outside the interior trim i.e. the interior trim goes under the capping. The long capping at the rear sits on top of the interior trim panel covering the fuel tank.

My question is do the short pieces of capping behind the shaped pieces go inside or outside the interior trim?

Update. I have found many photos showing both configurations but I can't tell if any are originals. My cappings, which I believe to be as per original noting I am the 3rd owner and the 2nd owner bought the car complete in 1965, are shaped to fit inside the trim?

Edited by John McCormack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi John,

on my TR3a the capping pieces sit behind the interior trim panels. The trim panels are edged with white piping. The screws that retain the trim panels pass through the capping pieces into the internal bodywork. 

Rgds Ian 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks gents. The TR2 didn't have the trim piping and it appears from other sources that the capping goes over the interior trim on the TR2.

It did change at some time after the TR2 and I know the TR3A has the capping inside the trim. 

I am hopeful Bill P. or someone else might be able to provide a definitive answer for this long door TR2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John,

I believe I have the unequivocal answer in the ST 1954 Workshop Manual.

Body section, Page 10, there are 3 excellent photos which clearly show the

elbow and side cappings over the top of the quarter trim panel, and the side cappings

also overlap the rear capping where they meet in the the corners.

Your question had been nagging at me also.

For what it's worth (a lot!) the factory spare parts manual drawing Plate AP in the body and

fittings section also show the same layout except it has a butt joint in the corner where

the side and rear cappings meet.

Cheers

Roger M-E

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi John hope the photos of my early TR2 are of some use 

All of the rear cappings extend over the trim 

All the best Jonathan

868F277A-1AB4-47C0-BDAD-2D06CEE1E55D.jpeg

B85F7F19-894A-4202-9665-D42D3E940B70.jpeg

C4DF2D75-D301-4E6A-A7B8-1DC9CCE92111.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Roger and Jonathon. That is exactly what I am after.The cappings and tonneau will go on first week of December. The top and sidescreens after Christmas.

I have completed over 1000kms around town, on back roads and 110km/h freeways. She drives very well and has been totally reliable, so far. The slight overheating has been fixed with a 6 blade 'tropical' option fan.

By the end of January TS3732O will be complete for the first time since December 1966.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, roger murray-evans said:

John,

I believe I have the unequivocal answer in the ST 1954 Workshop Manual.

Body section, Page 10, there are 3 excellent photos which clearly show the

elbow and side cappings over the top of the quarter trim panel, and the side cappings

also overlap the rear capping where they meet in the the corners.

Your question had been nagging at me also.

For what it's worth (a lot!) the factory spare parts manual drawing Plate AP in the body and

fittings section also show the same layout except it has a butt joint in the corner where

the side and rear cappings meet.

Cheers

Roger M-E

 

You beat me to it Roger.

That is exactly the section I went seeking too.

Peter W

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, John McCormack said:

Thanks Roger and Jonathon. That is exactly what I am after.The cappings and tonneau will go on first week of December. The top and sidescreens after Christmas.

I have completed over 1000kms around town, on back roads and 110km/h freeways. She drives very well and has been totally reliable, so far. The slight overheating has been fixed with a 6 blade 'tropical' option fan.

By the end of January TS3732O will be complete for the first time since December 1966.

 

Hope the project has been a pleasure John.What was the '12 years of road use TR' like

when you started?

I've also fitted a 6 blade fan to my TR just in case the temp gets above the current 4C we

have here in the sunny south-east of England.Hopefully my project won't be too far behind

yours!

 

Roger M-E

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, roger murray-evans said:

Hope the project has been a pleasure John.What was the '12 years of road use TR' like

when you started?

I've also fitted a 6 blade fan to my TR just in case the temp gets above the current 4C we

have here in the sunny south-east of England.Hopefully my project won't be too far behind

yours!

 

Roger M-E

It has been a pleasure thanks Roger.

I bought the car in two trailer loads in Feb 2017. One with the unpainted but prepared chassis with a partly restored body loosely bolted to it. The chassis was on wheels but with no suspension bushes or restoration done, just assembled from parts to move it around the garage. The other trailer had engine, gearbox etc, interior, instruments and everything else. All the original upholstery etc came with it.

The body and chassis went to the body shop where he set it up to restore the body. Once he had what he needed he took the body off and I took the chassis home. I restored the chassis and drive train and had a running engine, running gear, suspension, brakes, steering etc to reunite it with the body. He completed the body.

Once the body and chassis were reunited I completed the restoration.

I have owned another TR2 for 43 years which I did a body off on in the early 80s. I knew how it went together.

I am the 3rd owner, the 2nd bought it in 1966 from the original owner and he comes down to check my work every few months. 70,000 or so miles possibly original. Original engine etc. 

I'm pretty excited at having the opportunity to bring this car back to how it left the dealer in Perth in late 54. Signal red, brown leather and fawn top etc.

As she arrived at home.jpg

IMG_2677.JPG

IMG_1808.jpg

Front driver side Oct 19.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By using this site, you agree to the following: Terms of Use.